Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Self-Sustainable Retreat Property

Seed, growing livestock, crops, bush tucker.
MattintheACT
Posts in topic: 2

Self-Sustainable Retreat Property

Post by MattintheACT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi All

Is it possible to manage and maintain a reasonably self-sustaining piece of land without living on it full-time?

Has anyone had any issues with theft, vandalism, etc at their properties if you don't live there full-time?

Cheers
Matt

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self-Sustainable Retreat Property

Post by Frostbite » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 pm

I've owned my primary retreat for over 10 year, near the alpine region of southern NSW. I live about 4hrs drive from it, and try to visit monthly.

I've had no issues with theft or vandalism, which I attribute to the property being discreetly located at the end of a private road. For some years I allowed a neighbour to run his stock on my property, which gave him a vested interest in keeping an eye on the place.
I've heard the usual horror stories about poachers and thieves, but never experienced this at any of the rural properties I've owned (touch wood). Choose the location of your retreat carefully.

Not living on the property will most likely slow development of it, unless you are fortunate enough to live close enough to visit frequently. The unfortunate reality though, is the closer to a major city your retreat is, the more it will cost. For instance Mat, my daughter has been looking for rural acreage in the ACT, and anything decent with a house, will cost you a million dollars or more. But a couple of hours out and you can get decent land for a fraction of that. So you have to choose to either live on your block and tend your stock and gardens but probably struggle for an income, or live in the city earning a decent income but struggling to establish your retreat. Your choice.

I don't live on my retreat because I believe the income I earn in the city lets me be much better prepared than if I lived on my retreat. You need to be practical in your decision making and lose any romanticism about living partially self sufficient on your retreat. For example, I don't invest time in growing my own food, apart from a token effort for learning and experience. I reason that an extra hour spent at work, rather than tending my garden, will result in a much greater return in food.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MattintheACT
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Self-Sustainable Retreat Property

Post by MattintheACT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Yep, being practical is good advice. I have found the same as your daughter so I am currently deciding weather to buy a property close to town and pay a lot more, or stay in town and by a retreat an hour or two away.

I grew up on a farm and we had break-ins regularly. This might have been the location of it though. We had a shed up the back of the property which was next to a national park. People would dump cars and junk in the national park and obviously would see the shed and decide to break into it. We also had issues with wild dogs killing stock which would be more of an issue if we weren't there all the time.

Thanks for the advice

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links