Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Blood Sucking Leeches

Strategies and tactics for finding, catching, cleaning food, water. Building shelters, avoiding capture, defence, offence, and more...
Bilby
Posts in topic: 1

Blood Sucking Leeches

Post by Bilby » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 pm

After a leeching incident last weekend on my new prepping property, I decided to do some research into these little blood suckers. What I've found out, blew me away and I thought it useful to share with you all here for medical survival knowledge.
Leeches only need one feed to last them a year. A fact I didn't know before killing my massive blood-filled leech in Metho. Their body surface can divide into 102. Their internal structure is divided into 32 segments, in which each segment has its own brain. Every leech has 2 reproductive organs and 9 pairs of testes; good to know if I decide to farm these little buggers for medicine! Leech breeding is a multimillion-dollar industry overseas and our thirsty Aussie leeches are considered high quality.
So, what are they good for? When leeches suck out blood, they relieve congestion and pressure; good for reducing inflammation and swelling. Whilst they are busy feeding, they’re putting back in vasodilators, anticoagulants, anti-inflammatories and anaesthetic. Vasodilators make the blood vessels bigger and helps the blood flow; good for relieving high blood pressure and angina. Leeches help reduce varicose veins, blood-clotting disorders and arthritic swelling.
Hospitals in Australia and overseas are using them on patients. I'm including them as part my medical bush survival kit.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

twooldblueshoes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Blood Sucking Leeches

Post by twooldblueshoes » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Oh right, actual leeches. I thought this was gonna be another politics thread

Interesting blood for thought there.

Link: