Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Financial advice for the interim.

When the SHTF what can you do to protect your finances and assets now and then? Share your advice and tactics here.
OrinocoWomble72
Posts in topic: 6

Financial advice for the interim.

Post by OrinocoWomble72 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi Preppers

I live in Melbourne and am wanting to engage with a financial adviser who is capable of thinking outside the box and offering advice for the interim period before climate change starts making massive changes to society.
I'm looking to maximise my finances while I can, to optimise my land purchasing / set up, and income options while I still can.
However, I'd really like to access a financial adviser that I can be frank with, and make it clear that I'm not after conventional superannuation / investment etc advice, as I don't think this will be relevant beyond the short to medium term, as climate change kicks in.
Perhaps someone knows of an adviser that fits this bill?
Obviously they would not necessarily have to be in Melbourne, if they are open to skype consults or similar.

Thanks in advance

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Financial advice for the interim.

Post by Frostbite » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Last edited by Frostbite on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MattintheACT
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MattintheACT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 pm

OrinocoWomble72 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm
I live in Melbourne and am wanting to engage with a financial adviser who is capable of thinking outside the box and offering advice for the interim period before climate change starts making massive changes to society.
I think you will find it hard to find a financial planner that will understand what you are getting at or who will take you seriously. An economist might give you a good idea about the macro and micro-economic results of climate change - especially if they have a good knowledge of history. You could probably find some useful stuff online as well.

I'm concerned about climate change like you. What timeframes are you planing for? When do you think effects will be evident? What sequence of events do you see unfolding?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

OrinocoWomble72

Post by OrinocoWomble72 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

MattintheACT wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 pm
OrinocoWomble72 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm
I think you will find it hard to find a financial planner that will understand what you are getting at or who will take you seriously. An economist might give you a good idea about the macro and micro-economic results of climate change - especially if they have a good knowledge of history. You could probably find some useful stuff online as well.

I'm concerned about climate change like you. What timeframes are you planing for? When do you think effects will be evident? What sequence of events do you see unfolding?
Hi there Matt.
Here's the very simplistic and brief synopsis of how I view the current situation.
I think that the current global political trend to the far right, has disabled any effective response to climate change.
We are facing the most serious existential threat to the survival of the planet, other species and ourselves, and it's come at a time when runaway, top heavy consumer capitalism has all but destroyed any chance of effectively responding.
Droughts, bushfires and extreme weather events are already ramping up and well above the background average occurrence - in terms of frequency, duration and severity. This is modeled to continue to escalate. Science says that we are currently on track for between four and six degrees warming if we do not drastically change this trajectory, and this is beyond catastrophic.
More and more previously arable farm land globally will become non productive, driving mass displacement of populations and climate refugees. Add to that the peoples displaced by rising ocean levels. We've already had some tiny Island nations relocated for this reason, and this is set to grow exponentially in low lying island nations, nations and coastal areas.
Water is becoming a massive issue as we destroy aquifers and river systems. Armed conflict has already been seen in parts of the world regarding this, South Africa and parts of India are in trouble and other parts of the world are following suit.
We've entered the sixth mass extinction according to the (mainstream, peer reviewed) science, and insect populations have plummeted by 70% globally over the last twenty years. This is catastrophic and has already caused extinctions and crop losses.
The oceans are warming, acidifying and there are now some 'dead' zones where the oxygen levels are too low. Coral reefs are dying globally. The major oceanic currents (which drive our weather systems) have slowed as a result of the warming, and further slowing will start playing further havoc with weather patterns.
Many economies have never recovered from the GFC in 2008, and they are not set up to cope with the climate going to shit, and all the attendant problems and chaos that comes with that.
Inequality is at an all time historical high, furthering the instability and fragility of our societal and civilisational structure (extreme inequality being one of the markers throughout history of impending collapse - along with a number of other markers which we are also exhibiting).
So - in a nutshell, humanity is about to be hit with unprecedented numbers of refugees, that will go on increasing exponentially. This will be exacerbated by the further armed conflict this instability engenders.
Food shortages, water shortages, catastrophic drought, fire and weather events will begin to topple societies and civilisation.
Unfortunately, because we've hit this at a point where corporate-political, far right bodies wield more power than at any other stage of human history, I think that we're well set up to see totalitarian, authoritarian and overtly fascistic forms of government come more and more into the forefront (Australia has had over sixty pieces of legislation passed over the last ten years that erode our civil liberties, including increased surveillance laws and police powers). Society, in other words will become uglier, nastier and very much class divided.
And then (assuming we haven't done anything drastically intelligent about it, or find some other solution out of left field, which I'm assuming we won't given the evidence apparent and the fact that we won't listen to our scientists), runaway, cascading climate change effects will possibly see an end to it all.
Timeframes? We're already seeing problematic and devastating increases in fire events, drought and severe weather events. Rising sea levels are causing issues around the world. These kinds of effects will worsen hugely over the next ten years and of course even more beyond.
I'd say climate refugees which we're already seeing will start to become a massive issue within ten years.
Armed conflict over water and arable land will increase and become a major issue within ten to twenty years.
Heat events are already killing more people and this will increase dramatically.
Insect loss will affect us in myriad ways, many of which we won't even be aware of for a while.
Fish stocks have crashed, and will become non viable over the next twenty to fifty years.
You get the picture. I source my information from peer reviewed, published science papers, and not online 'gurus' or whack jobs. I work in government, and have worked variously in the science fields and with wildlife, so I'm pretty balanced if I do say so myself.
I'm wanting to set up a property that will give my young adult son the best chance of having independent food security for as long as possible and to some degree fly under the radar a bit, when that becomes necessary. That being the case, I want to maximise my earnings and money decisions over the next few years to optimise my chances of best setting this up. That's where the financial adviser part comes into it, because I lack the expertise to necessarily make the cleverest decisions re money. However, it would help me tremendously to have a financial adviser that I can be honest with, so that they can best help me plan according to a climate change affected future.
Hope this isn't all too much
Cheers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bug » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 pm

The financial sector's mantra is neverending uninterrupted growth. We know this isn't possible, but they don't seem to know or care. Don't bother mentioning this stuff to one of them. They won't get it.
Whether you understand climate change or not, get solar panels. The subsidies make it about a 20% return, something you won't get anywhere else.
Pay off all non deductible debt (car & home loan)
Get a good accountant who knows the 'lurks'. I used to do the tax return by myself. My refund increased by $2k after getting a 'good' accountant.
Keep spare money. When property/shares crash, be the one to buy up, not the one to panic sell. My grandfather made himself a millionaire doing this at the 1986 stockmarket crash. He bought oil stocks. The property crash has now bottomed out, so if you can, buy your home if you don't already own one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MattintheACT
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MattintheACT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm wanting to set up a property that will give my young adult son the best chance of having independent food security for as long as possible and to some degree fly under the radar a bit, when that becomes necessary.
[/quote]

We are lucky in Australia because you can get pretty cheap property if you are willing to go to the more isolated locations. I'm currently of the view (tell me if I’m wrong) that you can’t establish a well-functioning self-sustaining property without living on it full-time. If that's the case, it would involve an entire life change for you and your family – quitting your job, learning how to be a farmer, earning next to nothing, losing easy access to facilities and services, etc.

If you're curtain of the effects and time frames you might be very happy to accept those costs. If you live in Melbourne and have a good job, you probably have enough equity to make it happen pretty easily – I think it will be accepting the life change that will be the hardest part.

I'll start a new thread on this because I'm interested in people experience with this

Cheers
Matt

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bug » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:13 pm

That's correct Matt. If you don't live on it full time, the amount of time to establish your self sustained getaway is measured in years. Then you've got the issue of theft. You can't really grow crops or any kind of serious garden/poultry if you aren't there.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

OrinocoWomble72

Post by OrinocoWomble72 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 am

MattintheACT wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 pm
I'm wanting to set up a property that will give my young adult son the best chance of having independent food security for as long as possible and to some degree fly under the radar a bit, when that becomes necessary.
We are lucky in Australia because you can get pretty cheap property if you are willing to go to the more isolated locations. I'm currently of the view (tell me if I’m wrong) that you can’t establish a well-functioning self-sustaining property without living on it full-time. If that's the case, it would involve an entire life change for you and your family – quitting your job, learning how to be a farmer, earning next to nothing, losing easy access to facilities and services, etc.

If you're curtain of the effects and time frames you might be very happy to accept those costs. If you live in Melbourne and have a good job, you probably have enough equity to make it happen pretty easily – I think it will be accepting the life change that will be the hardest part.

I'll start a new thread on this because I'm interested in people experience with this

Cheers
Matt
[/quote]

Hi Matt. I intend to live on the property full time, with the exception of maybe the first year or two. And I was raised on a farm, so my farming skills and knowledge are excellent - not that I will be utilising orthodox farming methods anyway (non sustainable), I will be setting up a permaculture food forest. In all likelihood, I will be actually purchasing this property in NZ (I'm a dual citizen), because NZ's climate is more viable than Australia's, and I will have better water security, better soil and less likelihood of being burnt out (which will make this style of farming non viable in most parts of Australia).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

OrinocoWomble72

Post by OrinocoWomble72 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 am

Bug wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 pm
The financial sector's mantra is neverending uninterrupted growth. We know this isn't possible, but they don't seem to know or care. Don't bother mentioning this stuff to one of them. They won't get it.
Whether you understand climate change or not, get solar panels. The subsidies make it about a 20% return, something you won't get anywhere else.
Pay off all non deductible debt (car & home loan)
Get a good accountant who knows the 'lurks'. I used to do the tax return by myself. My refund increased by $2k after getting a 'good' accountant.
Keep spare money. When property/shares crash, be the one to buy up, not the one to panic sell. My grandfather made himself a millionaire doing this at the 1986 stockmarket crash. He bought oil stocks. The property crash has now bottomed out, so if you can, buy your home if you don't already own one.
Thanks for that.
I'm looking specifically for a financial planner, because I have specific advice needed, not general financial advice. I have general financial skills, but I need to be able to be able to maximise some specific things and juggle them exceptionally well. I realise it's a big ask, but just thought that someone on this page might know of someone in the financial sector that is 'one out of the box' so to speak and able to think outside the orthodox square. Cheers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

OrinocoWomble72

Post by OrinocoWomble72 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:51 am

Bug wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:13 pm
That's correct Matt. If you don't live on it full time, the amount of time to establish your self sustained getaway is measured in years. Then you've got the issue of theft. You can't really grow crops or any kind of serious garden/poultry if you aren't there.
Nowhere did I imply that I would not be living full time on the property. I am not naive. I will be living on the property (with maybe the exception of the first couple of years), full time. I was raised on farms, so I know what farming is. Cheers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links