Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

How to Filter and Pump Tank Water?

What have you got, what are you looking for, where do you get it, recommendations, reviews and offers.
MasterChief
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

How to Filter and Pump Tank Water?

Post by MasterChief » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:24 pm

A question for the community. :D

Living in urban areas, whenever a new development is allowed on a residential site that has a new roof structure there is a requirement under BASIX to install a water tank to collect rainwater - different sizes depending on place and size of roof space.

In my case we have 2000 litres of water - its full.

We have an electric pump that is connected to a garden hose.

We do NOT have solar on site yet.

To use this in a SHTF scenario we would need a generator or battery solution that provides 240v for the pump to access the water. We could have about 3 months of water.

Curious if anyone knows if and how these water tanks can be fitted with a hand pump safely ;)

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to Filter and Pump Tank Water?

Post by Frostbite » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Why not a 12v pump with a battery and small solar panel. That's what I use for the bathroom at my retreat.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tiger650

Post by Tiger650 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:31 am

Hand pump would be OK but labour intensive.
12V or 24V higher volume lower pressure pump without clogging issues would maybe be a marine bilge pump ?
Likewise a manual version, they can be had in simple diaphragm pump form that have few moving parts and simple to repair.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MasterChief
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MasterChief » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks Frostbite and Tiger650....Both good suggestions...Will investigate further.

Would be easier than 'taping' a hand pump into the tank as its already full as well.

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:30 am

You might want more tank capacity
A 12v car battery a small 12-240v inverter and a solar panel of maybe 20w and a manual off switch on the inverter input side to save power when not needed.
That existing pump motor at 240v should outlast most any 12vdc pump.

Filtering, clean gutters often, use pre-filter into tank, keep tank sealed from bugs etc and dark.
DO not take water until it has settled, that's enough for non human use. for human use use a damn good filter and have a bunch of spare filters

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 pm

I have exactly this. I'm adding a regular valve to it so that I can get water out of it sans electricity. I'm adding solar panels, and when the price comes down I will add a battery. On current trends that's about 4 years.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

muddymay

Post by muddymay » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:58 pm

is diatomaceous earth food grade, a good water filter? could it be added to a water tank?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

notasyoung

Post by notasyoung » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm

If the outlet is lower than the tank level the water will flow out without a pump, into a container. Just have a tap and hose. Have a water filter inside.
If you are installing a pump, and using it for drinking water go for a 5 micron, then a .5 micron filter with inert charcoal. The inlet from the roof should have a diverter that traps the first flow off the roof, which has the crud in it (usually a simple device with a plastic ball that floats up and blocks the opening, diverting the water into a second pipe that runs to the tank).
If looking at simple independent pressure systems, solar panels, 12v battery system, and 12v pump, is suitable for intermittent use, such as drinking water, you can go a bit fancier and add a pressure vessel (like a pressure pump), as well.
The simplest system is one that connects to a 240v outlet for power, and uses a pressure pump. This can always be connected to your generator if required.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links