Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

pets for prepping

What have you got, what are you looking for, where do you get it, recommendations, reviews and offers.
StealthHunter
Posts in topic: 2

pets for prepping

Post by StealthHunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:33 pm

I will try and get this started and see how this subject goes.

I currently have a 2 year old whippet pup that I am training up and looking after not just for casual life but to aid in my prepping, whippets are not the typical dog for bugging out but if you are planing to bugout to a area with a lot of land they can be very good hunters, whippet are quick and are great at catching rabbits and in some cases birds on the ground, I believe there is a strong place for animals in prepping, as they can do certain jobs that we as humans can not, I would love to hear about types of training people would suggest for my dog and how they have used their dogs in prepping.

cheers - stealthhunter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MasterChief
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: pets for prepping

Post by MasterChief » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 pm

I think there is a place for the right type of dog - 1 that can feed itself and you is ideal. Zane.lormier right her eon this board shared a story about his dog almost dying from a snakebite.

Dog Almost dead after snakebite

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StealthHunter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by StealthHunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 pm

yes, I saw the reply and was craping myself that it might happen to my dog, I have since brought what is known as a k9 strike vest or a k9 snake vest, this provides a bit of protectection but not on the legs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zane.lorimer

Post by zane.lorimer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Hello stealthhunter, my dog is more then a pet and very much considered an important part of my prep . He is an idiot with snakes at 11 yrs old he still kills snakes when given a chance !
Wirehaired pointers work mostly from nose and hear , remarkable how many deer i have seen by walking dog along tracks talking with mates that are still or laying down !! .My point is a dog can be an asset , hunting him and praise him with hugs when he kills and returns rabbits at every chance you get is the way to go , don't praise for bad chase habits {fox,snakes,deer ,wombats} and he will learn so quick . Develop short whistle and hand commands would be helpful at distance.Start in park with ball / fetch on command and return / kill rabbit and dry skin / feed meat to dog to encourage scent trail - the best advice i could give you is make it fun for both parties and if the dog won't hunt you can't force it! .
I love dogs - pig dogs , hound hunting dogs, pointers . had a few and shot a few that don't work { working dogs are like your tools if it dont work toss it}
My wirehair is my buddy and plays up sometimes even at 11years old but he finds more game then i could .
If i missed something let me know

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mike_B

Post by Mike_B » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Stealthhunter, I was lucky enough to have a whippet for a period of time many years ago. She was an ex show dog, but proved to be an effective natural hunter. Don't be too concerned about how light they look, they are tougher than they look and capable of some amazing athletic feats, I once saw mine perform a somersault at full noise and come out at 90 degrees change of direction chasing a rabbit (if that makes any sense), I have never seen any other dog do anything quite as impressive. Hope it all works out well for you.
And I also had a Terror which was not as athletic, but very quick otherwise, occasionally would catch birds in her younger days, would have killed snakes if I let her.

Mike
I wish it weren't so,
but accept the challenge to find an alternative way/s for when things are not the same anymore.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GirlFriday

Post by GirlFriday » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:06 pm

The sum total of my dog's use for prepping would be, with a lot of sauce and slow cooking, we could eat her in a pinch. The only thing she is good at is finding tennis balls :-)
How about smaller 'pets' such as guinea pigs...they are quite edible apparently and breed readily and are cheap to feed if free ranging

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links