Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Bugging Out Alone. What is your choice & why?

'Nuff said. Lets talk.
Frostbite
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Bugging Out Alone. What is your choice & why?

Post by Frostbite » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:48 pm

You should take your own advice.

At the moment all you are is a whole lot of bragging. Let's see some evidence that you're as well setup as you say you are. You know, like posting pictures of your awesome retreat like I have done.

Perhaps even a photo in your aircraft with a sign saying 'frostbite is an idiot'.

But I know that will never happen, because I've seen your type before. The sort of low achieving wannabe that destroyed AusSurvivalist.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bilby
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bilby » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:53 am

Frostbite please keep in mind what our grandfathers installed in us for good reason; "united we stand divided we fall". We preppers must, for the sake of ourselves and our family’s future; stand together and support one another, even when we may not necessarily agree on some things. We can all learn from each other and it really is in our best interests to do so.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Frostbite » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:04 am

Exactly Bilby.

I've been running free annual prepper camps on bush properties I own for 15 years. I've met a wide gamut of preppers and learn't a lot. Including how to spot a pretender or troll. Which I suspect Thunda actually is. Here to spread discord for his own amusement. A lot of what he writes doesn't ring true. Time will tell if he can backup his fabulous claims, but I suspect he will cause havoc for a while then vanish onto the next forum.

Being gullible isn't one of my survivalist traits.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

notasyoung
Posts in topic: 2

Post by notasyoung » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Grumpy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm
I see little point in carrying a handgun! if you are on foot and already carrying a long gun, it is simply extra weight that you may never need
that's about a kilo around your waist for what? Most anyone will have a far better chance of hitting a target with the long gun than a handgun at most any range, if the range is so short that you cant use that long gun then a decent knife would be better than a short gun!
Grumpy, on this we disagree. If range is short a handgun is much better than a knife... as the old saying goes, don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Rock and shot with the handgun simply rotated and fired works right up to full body contact.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Keith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:20 am

MikeA wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 pm
Grumpy wrote:
I see little point in carrying a handgun! if you are on foot and already carrying a long gun, it is simply extra weight that you may never need
that's about a kilo around your waist for what? Most anyone will have a far better chance of hitting a target with the long gun than a handgun at most any range, if the range is so short that you cant use that long gun then a decent knife would be better than a short gun!
Not necessarily Grumpy, we get dogs up our way 2-15 at a time, they will see you way before you see them and no rifle is good on dogs at 20ft, especially a bolt action, you cannot out run a dog let alone a pack, but a 9mm semi auto pistol or a 357 revolver gives you a fighting chance,
Neighbour recently had 9 dogs surround her while cutting wood, no firearm, and 50m from the house, it was her 2 larger dogs that saved her that day.
Horses for courses of course and not everyone gets pack of dogs roaming around. A friend of mine many years ago was charged by a boar and it was only her .44 mag revolver that saved her from a goring. I would never dismiss a handgun, of course I use one regularly.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 am

John wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 pm
Agree with you Keith I’d like to stay out of sight an mind rather than being in a fire fight an use my firearms do hunting meat.
I guess I’m thinking of worst case hoping for the best
I’m not up on using paper cartridges An how fast loading is but has given me something to think about I might have to do the ask around locally see if some one can bring me up to speed.
I think it would be worth while skill to learn can’t hurt to have that skill as a back up when the nitro powder runs out

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 am

Bilby wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm
I've been reading more of what's in here, especially regarding rifles and the like. It seems that most preppers on this site are male and guns of any kind are the most essential survival item. Whilst growing up from childhood with bolt action .22 type rifles, I have always found them cumbersome to walk around with and holding steady to shoot. I'm only 5ft and not a physically strong middle-aged woman now. From a prepping viewpoint, I make up for these short comings by being mentally strong, extremely resourceful and with a wide skill base. I'll only be hunting small introduced species like rabbits and foxes to eat. I have a large land holding and there's enough rabbits and foxes to live off for the rest of my life there. I've grown up trapping rabbits on land in the day and eels in rivers at night for food. From my viewpoint, guns of any kind are not the weapon of choice here. One shot from a firearm will send animals underground and me too. My dad made me a ripper hunting knife decades ago from the highest grade steel and I'll trust that to survive with over a gun anytime. I find ferrets great to hunt with and they aren't noisy, although the little buggers bite hard.
When the SHTF, I'll be hiding my guns and ammo away. For me to survive, I believe it's paramount that I stay very quiet and away from as much of the human population as I can. I pay painful attention to what's happening to women in war torn areas around the world. What happens to women when men catch them, scares the crap out of me and is my biggest fear for when war comes to our shores. I can't fight or hunt big game like you guys, but I can survive like a marsupial and help others out. If I can't stay on my prepping property to survive during the coming war, then my chances of making it through and living beyond the aftermath of it aren't good at all.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 am

Thunda wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:41 pm
A .22 using sub sonic's is enough for anyone to get a feed anywhere.

It will take down a roo at 150 metres, how do l know? I do it every day and I'm ex military and pro shooter.

It's quiet, cheap to run, and light, just needs some training in ballistics and ya can stockpile a ton of rounds.

Nothing beats trapping, l started rabbit trapping at 12yo, and picking dead wool in the droughts to get my start, that was in the fiftys l still use snares and hunt with throwing axe and never been hungry.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 am

Bilby wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:53 am
Frostbite please keep in mind what our grandfathers installed in us for good reason; "united we stand divided we fall". We preppers must, for the sake of ourselves and our family’s future; stand together and support one another, even when we may not necessarily agree on some things. We can all learn from each other and it really is in our best interests to do so.

(just love that little running dog ) :)
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 am

notasyoung wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 pm
Grumpy wrote:
Grumpy, on this we disagree. If range is short a handgun is much better than a knife... as the old saying goes, don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Rock and shot with the handgun simply rotated and fired works right up to full body contact.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links