Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Bugging Out Alone. What is your choice & why?

'Nuff said. Lets talk.
Grumpy
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Bugging Out Alone. What is your choice & why?

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm

MikeA wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 pm
Grumpy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm
I see little point in carrying a handgun! if you are on foot and already carrying a long gun, it is simply extra weight that you may never need
that's about a kilo around your waist for what? Most anyone will have a far better chance of hitting a target with the long gun than a handgun at most any range, if the range is so short that you cant use that long gun then a decent knife would be better than a short gun!
Not necessarily Grumpy, we get dogs up our way 2-15 at a time, they will see you way before you see them and no rifle is good on dogs at 20ft, especially a bolt action, you cannot out run a dog let alone a pack, but a 9mm semi auto pistol or a 357 revolver gives you a fighting chance,
Neighbour recently had 9 dogs surround her while cutting wood, no firearm, and 50m from the house, it was her 2 larger dogs that saved her that day.
Horses for courses of course and not everyone gets pack of dogs roaming around. A friend of mine many years ago was charged by a boar and it was only her .44 mag revolver that saved her from a goring. I would never dismiss a handgun, of course I use one regularly.
I too have had trouble with dogs in packs and a handgun will be of little use, the reason I discount handguns is because and by the way I was a competition pistol shooter for twenty three years and know a little about handguns ok, under stress you are unlikely to hit what you aim at,
Under nice conditions I could at 50m in Service match get two in groups all day every day. Add some adverse conditions like being attacked by dogs, being sick tired or injured etc handgun accuracy falls right off the chart, tried everything for 15 years no go.
Anyone who thinks they can successfully defend themselves with a handgun under major stress is just plain kidding themselves. There is a reason some pistols have 17rd magazines and that's because very few people can shoot straight with a pistol under high levels of stress and many rounds are needed due to the high miss rate.

If one is serious about using a firearm to defend themselves it needs to be a long gun to have any chance of making hits under stress and getting shot at sends the stress levels through the roof in an instant!

A compact 12g is the top contender in this department, a pistol in an aftermarket stock making it a short long gun is good also but any gun held in a single point grip is next to useless.
A hundred or so years of US statistics bear that out!

One can fall for all the bull and ones abilities in fair conditions but its a life that is at stake :)

When you find yourself in a gunfight you will be tired hungry possible injured or sick, the light will be dim, it will be windy or raining and you will have moving targets and you will be out gunned to boot.
I will go the 12g every time :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:39 pm

John wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 pm
Agree with you Keith I’d like to stay out of sight an mind rather than being in a fire fight an use my firearms do hunting meat.
I guess I’m thinking of worst case hoping for the best
I’m not up on using paper cartridges An how fast loading is but has given me something to think about I might have to do the ask around locally see if some one can bring me up to speed.
I think it would be worth while skill to learn can’t hurt to have that skill as a back up when the nitro powder runs out
Apparently in the Great Depression a lot of people reverted to using muzzle-loading guns to feed the family. Of course you can always reload modern cartridges with black powder if you have the gear.
Paper cartridges were used by the military because it was much faster to reload.
https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/ ... idges.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=88&v=ddtJRaPsP4Q
There is more information on muzzle-loading on this board on this forum.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Terra Firma Straya
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Terra Firma Straya » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:32 am

Seeing how the majority of our militarys weapons are 5.56 nato, I would go something to suite that type of round (223). Although, that said some 5.56 jam being placed into 223 chambers, then there's the pressure that comes with the round being fired as well.
Still, having that weapon gives me the oportunity to defend myself if I run out of ammo, by pilfering ammo from equipment left behind... place the bonus is I may just come across a military weapon as well. Then I don't have to worry about jams so long as it stays maintained.

I would definitely carry a pistol for close quarters defence and the added bonus is I can use that for hunting if snares and traps fail me. The chosen round I would go for is a 9mm as that is a widely common military and law enforcement round as well.

The way I see it... if I have to bug out myself... prepare for the worst, anything less is a bonus. Then if I happen to come across like minded people, there's more of a chance they will have the same ammo requirements also.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

notasyoung

Post by notasyoung » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 pm

1. If I am 'bugging out' alone, things have gone horribly wrong.
2. If I could take only one rifle it would be my Marlin .22M, scoped, 2 mags, and some vacuum sealed packets of ammo, plus a 'catch .22' of rounds. (This really depends on the conditions, and what is happening).
3. I would probably take a double barrel .410 >410, broken down, in my pack, with a selection of rounds vacuum packed, and its sleeve of ready use (this would again depend on what was happening).
4. Given I am comfortable with my local area and knowledge, being in the field isn't very worrying short term. Long term being alone, in 'survival' mode, would be concerning.
The .22M because it has a little more reach, the ammunition is light, and it is accurate, good for roo and wallaby, rabbit. The .410 because it is suitable for pig (solids) - one barrel is reamed out to near cylinder, other chamber I can use SSG load in, rounds for rabbits, goats, deer (.22M better choice, if have it), duck. Both are reliable. The .410 is a double trigger (two guns in one, each side is independent), with mechanical extractors. Now, conditions will dictate how much I take (e.g. ammo). Never coming back would be a sad state of affairs, and unlikely.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 am

Hand guns are mainly for self defence at close range, that is why some people carry them. My pistol being a smoothbore can digest round ball, bird shot, buckshot, or a combination of any two of these. Great at close range on any predator.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:55 am

So how often do you envisage defending yourself if you have bugged out to the deep bush ? and why would not your long gun be a better choice ?

That's a kilo or so in weight that you some day might use or might not ? that's a lot more ammo for your long gun.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 am

I can't read your posts Grumpy, I have placed you on my ignore list.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:34 pm

Simply because I disagree with you
awesome! very mature!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 pm

As with most things, a pistol has positives and negatives.

On the plus side, a pistol like a glock 17 offers light weight, semiautomatic fire, high magazine capacity and fast reloads. It will end most threats, even multiple threats, with a bit of training.

On the negative side a handgun requires regular training and are limited in range, especially when under duress.

For me the big plus of handguns is they can be holstered and be within quick reach whenever you need it. It won't limit your daily activity like a longarm will. You can sling a rifle, but it will still restrict your movement when digging, chopping firewood, building a shelter, so it will invariably be out of reach when you need it, whereas a pistol is always at hand.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Yes but this thread is about bugging out alone, your carrying everything you need on your back, that pistol alone is worth an extra hundred rounds for your main gun an extra 100rds that will reach much further than pistol rounds can. Fair enough if one has a motor vehicle or even a horse to share the load but if you are humping it on your back one gun is enough. I seen people set out on a hike and get just a few steps and realise the pack is way too heavy then have to unload some essentials.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links