Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Looking for recommendations for herbal medicine and similar reading materials

Seed, growing livestock, crops, bush tucker.
Teddybearhugz
Posts in topic: 2

Looking for recommendations for herbal medicine and similar reading materials

Post by Teddybearhugz » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:08 am

Hi
I'm looking for herbal and plant based medical skills, information and recipes etc. If anyone knows of a book or two please let me know :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for recommendations for herbal medicine and similar reading materials

Post by MikeA » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Anything specifically you're after? Have access to many herbal and naturopathic material.
Herbs and Things - Jeanne Rose is my go to, lists every herb and it's uses, don't know if its still in print

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Teddybearhugz
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Looking for recommendations for herbal medicine and similar reading materials

Post by Teddybearhugz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 am

Herbs used to treat ailments such as; asthma, eczema, arthritis, headaches, migraines, wound care/healing aid, general health and well being. Hope that explains what I'm looking for :)

When left is right and right is left... Which way is up?!?! Never ever never, give up!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

treya

Post by treya » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:10 pm

The Herb Book by John Lust, good compact size, a quick search showed a reprint and that amazon has digital version with sample to download. Compact book, full of information about the size of a thick paperback novel. There are a lot of good books out there but this one is a good starter for alot of info in a small book.

Otherwise there was a British TV series "Grow your own drugs" by James Wong which you can see some of the episodes on youtube, very simple but you would most likely have to order certain things online for some of the recipes (beeswax, parrafin wax, etc.) There are DVD's of the (I think two) series available to purchase and there are one or two books as well with complete recipes.

There is an online website called Learning Herbs or there are online courses such as offered by The Herbal Academy (no affiliation on either) if you want a more community based learning.

Remember it's always best to use multiple sources as there is some conflicting information (such as with comfrey and liver damage), and check for contraindications with current medication with a qualified herbalist and/or pharmacist if you are planning on using anything with medication or long term. Herbal does not mean safe.

If you are after a relatively safe & gentle option to help with mild excema you can use oats in the bath, just pop some plain old porrige oats in a drawstring bag or tied in a teatowel/bandana and soak it in the bath, use it as a sort of sponge on your skin. A few lavender flowers or calendula petals might also help.

Headaches depends on the type (stress, muscle tension, sinus, fatigue, dehydration..?).

Migraines often use feverfew but again it's recommended that you read up on it, I vaguely recall a chance of some potential contact skin reaction eating it fresh (it's quite bitter) and is more a preventative than a treatment. Google feverfew migraine butter for one idea on use but definately do your research.

Osteoarthritis or rhematoid? Old injuries?

There are a lot of herbs used in wound care, but again it depends on the type of wound and what sort of treatment i.e. antibacterial, promote healing, soothing /anti-inflammitory (i.e. burns skin reactions), sprains, broken bones, etc.

There are herbal tonifiers and adaptogenics and I am sure a whole bunch of others for health and wellbeing, just searching for keywords can help.

Maybe look into 'herbal simpling', as best I understand it would be learning just a few herbs and learning many, many uses for them. Become familiar with just a few herbs and then expand to more. This would be handy if you wanted to start your own garden and use what you have, maybe keep a bit of insurance with some seeds stored in a BOB or INCH bag.

Are you planning on using them now or if the SHTF? Growing them or buying or combination of both? Just trying not to rely strictly on pharmaceuticals or in case you cannot get to a Doctor? Wild edibles, cooking, cosmetic, or strictly treatment/prevention of illness/injury?

Hopefully thats not overload. Can peruse the bookshelf for a few more books if you like.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mozart

Post by mozart » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Oriental Botanicals has a good range of herbs that are mainly based on Chinese Medicine

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links