Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Mylar bags

Seed, growing livestock, crops, bush tucker.
Teddybearhugz
Posts in topic: 2

Mylar bags

Post by Teddybearhugz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:52 am

Hi :D
When storing dry foods in mylar bags, what would be the expected "use by date" for different items, eg... Nuts, dried veges/fruit etc
Thank you for your help

When left is right and right is left... Which way is up?!?! Never ever never, give up!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

goldcoastprep
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mylar bags

Post by goldcoastprep » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm

I would definitely be interested in knowing the above as well!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bouschka
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bouschka » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:44 am

I just watched a US video (guildbrook farms) that said they have been known to last up to 40years. I'm trying to source some myself.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Teddybearhugz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teddybearhugz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 am

I was told by a friend that the thicker the mylar bag the better to protect it from unwanted issues eg. Insects, water and pollution. I've also been told that if storing in preserving jars with heat for things such as rice, oats etc it can last in excess of 30 years. Wandering which solution would be the better approach for a large family, mylar or preserving jars or maybe even using dry ice for the freeze dried method .... Thoughts??? I also watched a few YouTube clips and pretty sure the guildbrook was amongst the ones I watched with the preserving jars heated etc for dry ingredients

When left is right and right is left... Which way is up?!?! Never ever never, give up!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links