Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Solar panels an battery’s

Got something you just bought or something you've had forever and can recommend? This is the place for gizmos, gadgets, widgets and alike.
Keith
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Solar panels an battery’s

Post by Keith » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:33 pm

John wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 pm
Hi all
Just wanting your thoughts on brands of solar panels and deep cycle batteries as I’m upgrading the 12v 160w cheap system I got off eBay a few years ago.
It been pretty good for running a few led lights and a small waceo fridge at my BOL.
Now I’ve upgraded to a much bigger waceo 80L fridge freezer with a much bigger power draw. Now I’m looking to upgrade my solar system to cope with the load wanting a good brand that’s more reliable than the eBay ripoffs.
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks John
We are using bp & Trina panels & BAE gel batteries made in Germany John.
As you can see we had to replace some panels after a heavy hailstorm.
These gel batteries are performing very well, much better than the lead acid batteries we used to have. They don't take on as much charge as the old batteries, but they hold that charge for much longer.
This is a 24 volt system converted to 240 volts ac. 240 volt equipment is much less expensive to purchase than 12 volt.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grumpy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:01 pm

John wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 pm
Hi all
Just wanting your thoughts on brands of solar panels and deep cycle batteries as I’m upgrading the 12v 160w cheap system I got off eBay a few years ago.
It been pretty good for running a few led lights and a small waceo fridge at my BOL.
Now I’ve upgraded to a much bigger waceo 80L fridge freezer with a much bigger power draw. Now I’m looking to upgrade my solar system to cope with the load wanting a good brand that’s more reliable than the eBay ripoffs.
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks John

The quality of your system really depends on your batteries, deep cycle is needed, and resist ebay batteries as you want to get new as in freshly manufactured batteries not old stock! resist the temptation of cheap batteries from ebay.
If you are running a 12v system you can top the batteries up from your car system so storage is more important than solar capacity.

I would have gone a regular 240v fridge and an inverter to run it as a 90L fridge and or freezer runs at about $350 and are available most anywhere.
240v units are far more reliable than any of the speciality voltages.

My system has four 260w 39v panels at $990 a 80amp controller at $150 and two 260AH deep cycle batteries running a24v system with 2 3.6KW 24-240v inverters. That system runs a 90L fridge, a 90L freezer an 240v electric jug a 40L microwave and a 2.4kw vaccum cleaner. and I can plug in and run most anything 240vac whenever I like.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John
Posts in topic: 4

Post by John » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi there Grumpy I do agree with you on just running 240v fridge and being done with it cheaper and easier I’d say I’m really only running with the 12 volt because I can get more use out of it through out the year on trips away in the 4wd not wanting to buy both a 240 and a 12v for my car
It’s all coming along been a bit slow due to time lately but not far off being set up

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Teddybearhugz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Teddybearhugz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:45 am

Thank you for your help bug

When left is right and right is left... Which way is up?!?! Never ever never, give up!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:36 pm

For the question on hand cranked lights, I have one in my BOB. It's about 10 years old and works fine.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:00 am

Bug wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:36 pm
For the question on hand cranked lights, I have one in my BOB. It's about 10 years old and works fine.
Before I left home in my youth Bug I had a metal one of these made around the time of WW2. I kept it in my tool box & it was a particular treasure of mine. When I left home & decided to leave the trade & try something new, so I purposely left my tool box behind. When I visited home many years later I found that my sister's family had taken my tool box.
I do have a plastic crank torch which I keep in our travel kit, but it will never last as long as that original WW2 one.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Nobody gives a crap about other people's possessions. An unfortunate fact but a very real one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

San
Posts in topic: 1

Post by San » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 pm

For off-grid systems, go with Victron components (inverter/charger and charge controller).
Lithium batteries will last you a lot longer than lead-acid, especially if you cycle them a lot. BYD is a good brand, or PowerPlus and Sentry are good too for smaller systems.
For panels there is a ton of option, but you generally tend to get what you pay for. Trina is a good balance of affordability and reliability. Sunpower has excellent panels but quite a bit more expensive.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links