Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

tO reload or Not

'Nuff said. Lets talk.
Grumpy
Posts in topic: 3

tO reload or Not

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm

I hear lots a references to reloading PSHTF
Is it worth it or not?
I used to think so but now I do not think it is worthwhile.
There are no real benefits to be had.
Storing primers? they can get damp, dropped etc and they are fiddly little things :x
Storing powder? again it can get damp, get spilt or contaminated etc
Both of the above are best kept in an assembled round!

I have come to the conclusion that it is best to keep all the bits as assembled rounds, far more durable as a complete round.
By all means reload before TSHTF but have all your reloading done by the time the SHTF
I have one more big reloading session this winter with nearly four thousand cases to load but will then be putting all my reloading kit into storage. :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John
Posts in topic: 1

Re: tO reload or Not

Post by John » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi all
I would totally agree with you Grumpy buy your power primers and load up all your cases they keep for year.
I use ex army 50 cal steel boxes there air water tight and I’ve never had a problem with misfires with shells I’ve had stored for 5 plus years
You just have to look at all the old military 303 round that have been around for years I fired hundreds of them with very few misfires.
In saying that I have stored unopened poweres for quite a few years with out a problem but for prepping I would recommend storing loaded rounds in air tight containers and they won’t have a problem

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Grumpy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm
I hear lots a references to reloading PSHTF
Is it worth it or not?
I used to think so but now I do not think it is worthwhile.
There are no real benefits to be had.
Storing primers? they can get damp, dropped etc and they are fiddly little things :x
Storing powder? again it can get damp, get spilt or contaminated etc
Both of the above are best kept in an assembled round!

I have come to the conclusion that it is best to keep all the bits as assembled rounds, far more durable as a complete round.
By all means reload before TSHTF but have all your reloading done by the time the SHTF
I have one more big reloading session this winter with nearly four thousand cases to load but will then be putting all my reloading kit into storage. :)
Good post, I wonder, do you have any advice for those that may have to "bug-out"? Modern breach-loading (other than .22) ammo is weighty & carrying enough to last a long time could compromise the carrying of other priority equipment. Is there a way round this if you are travelling alone other than using a hiking trolley?
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Only advise is to make every shot count.
In .223R/5.56Nato there are 80rds to the kilo
With a decent scope most any game can be taken out to 300m if one can shoot properly

A blackpowder shooter should not rely on recovering lead to re-use as after crunching the numbers one would need to have a 95% recovery rate to make it worthwhile and the chance of scavenging any lead at all in the bush makes Bows and Arrows a better option than blackpowder

I myself will be carrying a .223R rifle and starting with 500rds of ammo mostly in a shoulder bag, depending on who is with me I will also have available a .22LR rifle starting with 2,000rds.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeA

Post by MikeA » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Good post, I wonder, do you have any advice for those that may have to "bug-out"? Modern breach-loading (other than .22) ammo is weighty & carrying enough to last a long time could compromise the carrying of other priority equipment. Is there a way round this if you are travelling alone other than using a hiking trolley?
Keith.
To answer your question, this has been the dilemma regarding ammo in a Bug Out situation especially on foot. 22LR is the lightest to carry. The 22 Magnum is probably my second choice as its still lightweight but the round has increased range and punch. Some of the smaller centrefire in the 17-22cal range might be ok as well.
9mm pistol round could the the go, or 357 magnum. Some rifles are chambered in it, plenty of stopping power

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Grumpy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:45 pm
Only advise is to make every shot count.
In .223R/5.56Nato there are 80rds to the kilo
With a decent scope most any game can be taken out to 300m if one can shoot properly

A blackpowder shooter should not rely on recovering lead to re-use as after crunching the numbers one would need to have a 95% recovery rate to make it worthwhile and the chance of scavenging any lead at all in the bush makes Bows and Arrows a better option than blackpowder

I myself will be carrying a .223R rifle and starting with 500rds of ammo mostly in a shoulder bag, depending on who is with me I will also have available a .22LR rifle starting with 2,000rds.
Thank you so much for your informative & supportive comment Grumpy, it is so good to have a muzzle-loading expert on this forum. I have learnt such a lot from your posts to date.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 pm

MikeA wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm
Keith.
To answer your question, this has been the dilemma regarding ammo in a Bug Out situation especially on foot. 22LR is the lightest to carry. The 22 Magnum is probably my second choice as its still lightweight but the round has increased range and punch. Some of the smaller centrefire in the 17-22cal range might be ok as well.
9mm pistol round could the the go, or 357 magnum. Some rifles are chambered in it, plenty of stopping power
I guess if you prefer to carry a breach-loader over a muzzle-loader, those would be good choices to make. Probably no where as light as using a .32 caliber muzzle-loading rifle, but if you get into a fire fight your suggestions would certainly be a better option Mike.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 pm

You could always cache extra ammo, along with other useful items, in various parts of your intended AO. Just make very sure you know where you left it, because ground looks different over time and you only have to miss by a couple of feet when digging for the cache retieval to become a real nightmare.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Yes Frosty I have had caches before but have had a few problems with them.
One cache seemed to be ok when I dug it up but all the aluminium in it had turned to a white powder while the steel in it was a ok!

Still not sure what did it, am thinking it might have been the O2 absorbers. but got to fix that mystery before I attempt any more caches.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:46 am

I don't have a problem with this as I don't own a weapon, but I've seen farming folks mention vacuum storing rounds in large-ish batches to reduce some of the risk of environmental problems with long term storage? No idea if it's effective though.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links