Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Frostbite's retreat

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
Frostbite
Posts in topic: 5

Frostbite's retreat

Post by Frostbite » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 am

There doesn't seem to be a section on this forum where members can discuss their retreats, so I've put this topic in the general section.

I'm always interested in seeing posts about other prepper's retreats, to see what ideas I can borrow and to keep up my motivation to continue developing my own retreat. With that in mind, here's an outline of a retreat I own in southern NSW:

I bought this property as a vacant block about 10 years ago. It ticked almost all of my boxes.

It was cheap enough to buy without obtaining a mortgage, it had good frontage to a permanent river, it had no close neighbours, it had private access, it was surrounded by larger working sheep and cattle properties, it was close enough to a town to access the wide range of facilities there but far enough away not to be overrun by townsfolk, it was less than 4hr drive from home, and it had some nice hills to hide in if I was ever overrun.

Since purchase I have built a 3 bedroom metal cabin (with double frame to withstand adverse weather) and two 20ft shipping containers. One container has been divided into a communal bathroom (with flushing toilet) and store room, while the other container has been divided into a bunkhouse and small workshop. I wanted a bathroom outside of the main cabin so that those sleeping outside could use it without needing to access the cabin.

The retreat is off grid. I have a small portable solar panel to run lights and recharge gadgets, and two honda generators for the heavier stuff. I had an electrician mate wire the complete cabin for 240v, so I just run an inverter here, but the two containers use 12v for lighting and the water pump. I use a combination of gas camping stove, bbq plate and camp oven for cooking. The property has so much timber it makes sense to use wood for cooking whenever time permits. Heating is wood combustion fire. Water heating is solar bags or on the fire or gas stove, but a larger system using poly pipe in a glass topped box is in the works.

Roof mounted solar panels are a work in progress, waiting on a supply of free suitable batteries and associated items from another mate who is an electronics technician.

The property has enough land to run some stock or plant a large enough crop to sustain my modest group on 8 adults and 1 infant. The main concern with food production, water, is taken care of by the river. I have neither stock or crops at the moment, apart from two pear trees planted to test if an orchard might survive my infrequent visits. The tyranny of distance and a busy life (I own two other properties that compete for my time) prevents me spending enough time at this retreat to justify having stock or crops at the moment.

Short term goals for this retreat are more water tanks and the aforementioned roof mounted solar panels.

I'd be interested in comments or suggestion, particularly from those that have their own retreats.

Pics to come...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Frostbite's retreat

Post by Frostbite » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am

Link:
BBcode: