Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Christmas Pandemic

Choose your own (Survival) Adventure - Scenarios. We want your scenarios ad your input. Propose a scenario and let the community tell you how they would survive in your world.
MasterChief
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Christmas Pandemic

Post by MasterChief » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 pm

At Christmas many people are jammed together in shopping centres, restaurants, bars etc - more than normal as they have time off work and celebrate Christmas.

A perfect breeding ground for disease to spread. :shock:

What would you do in this scenario... ;)

You wake up Christmas morning, no bird song, no electricity, no running water, no cell tower reception. It's quite, really quite.

Something has happened...All of your neighbour's cars are gone and doors flung open on their homes.

Its seems you are the only people 'alive' in your area.

Do you wait and stay...Its only been overnight after all?

Or do you vacate immediately?

You've got only what you've already prepped.

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Christmas Pandemic

Post by Frostbite » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:19 am

I think firstly that I need to find out what is going on. Christmas morning is traditionally very quiet until late morning. So on goes the radio and tv. I have a 2kva honda generator at home so will always have power. My adult children spend the night before Christmas at my place, so fortunately all those I care about are under my roof.

Depending on what I learn about the situation, I will prepare my next step. If it is a pandemic I will load the family into our 4wd's, top up fuel from the 60l of diesel I keep on hand, load the trailer will all my supplies, and drive the 300km to my isolated rural retreat, which has some supplies there as well. The move with depend on whether the authorities have roadblocks in place to prevent people moving and spreading the pandemic. I have a box of n95 masks at home, so everyone wears one whilst outside.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John

Post by John » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:49 am

Hi I’m John new here Hunker down with your preps until you find out what’s going on by trying to find a radio station broadcasting. Digital scanners UHF An HF radios would all so be a go to for me before I’d make the decision to get out of dodge

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:45 am

MasterChief wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 pm
At Christmas many people are jammed together in shopping centres, restaurants, bars etc - more than normal as they have time off work and celebrate Christmas.

A perfect breeding ground for disease to spread. :shock:

What would you do in this scenario... ;)

You wake up Christmas morning, no bird song, no electricity, no running water, no cell tower reception. It's quite, really quite.

Something has happened...All of your neighbour's cars are gone and doors flung open on their homes.

Its seems you are the only people 'alive' in your area.

Do you wait and stay...Its only been overnight after all?

Or do you vacate immediately?

You've got only what you've already prepped.
Well I guess if I was living in the city/suburbs, I would hang fire & take a good look out of the window to see if there were any dead people or birds laying around in sight. If there were, then I would stay put & make sure all the windows were closed. I would get all my bug out gear ready to go. I would give it another 24 hours then get out of Dodge.

If there were no dead to be seen, I would get my bug out gear ready to go. I would give it to mid day to see if anything changed, & if all was still the same, I would get out of Dodge.

If things changed, it would depend on what that change was, I would have to decide what to do given the change in circumstances.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm

I've been watching a program on ABC Iview titled This is not a drill: pandemic.

Basically some of our leading experts on pandemic worshopping a scenario. What seems clear to me is that the health system will be overwhelmed, but you will get at least several weeks warning. Perhaps not enough time to stock up on masks/gloves etc, but plenty of time to finalise plans

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:30 am

Frostbite wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm
I've been watching a program on ABC Iview titled This is not a drill: pandemic.

Basically some of our leading experts on pandemic worshopping a scenario. What seems clear to me is that the health system will be overwhelmed, but you will get at least several weeks warning. Perhaps not enough time to stock up on masks/gloves etc, but plenty of time to finalise plans
That is providing you are not one of the early victims!!!
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:41 pm

The chances of that are negligible Keith. With 7.7 billion people worldwide, in Aus we would have a 1 in 300 chance of catching it, whereas in China the odds are more like 1 in 5.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 am

I would probably hunker down first and fire up all my comms gear as what I lack most at that point is information. I have a large log book that I would be logging everything into. Its not a pandemic yet as far as you know. I don't get visitors now so will not be expecting any. I will break out a shotty and some ammo, will switch over to solar/genny, and set up my bionic ear.
I will probably not go anywhere for several days to a week just gather intel but still formulating plans as I go. I will setup a small command desk with maps etc of my area and marking off any intel as it comes

As in this scenario it turns out to be a pandemic I see little need to go anywhere and will maintain as lower profile as I can for as long as I can. I wont leave my little hole until I know enough about this pandemic to not get infected.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm

If everyone else has already left, who cares? Nobody to catch it from. Their abandoned homes will make good caches.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bilby

Post by Bilby » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Firstly, I would not be in that suburban situation. For the sake of this scenario, I'd go back inside and lock myself in the house. I'd put on my PPE of full body protection including face mask. I'd turn on my battery-operated short-wave radio and look out the windows for movement. If it wasn't my house, I'd have to get into my car and put on my emergency PPE. I keep a packet of surgical masks in my glove box. I also have an emergency radio in the car too. My 4x4 has many emergency management items, including medical kit. I even keep a can of tyre spray in it so I can pump it up fast and not have to change a flat tyre in an emergency. My vehicle always has at least 4 litres of water and a packet of trail bars. I would get everyone from inside the house into my vehicle and head to my property asap. Just before I get to any destination, I always fuel up, so I know in that situation, I'd be able to get where I'm going without having to refuel.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links