Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

EMP

Whats do you think is going to happen most and what have you prepared for?
Keith
Posts in topic: 9

Re: EMP

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 am

Bug wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:15 pm
Judging by the angle of those panels, it looks like you're a fair way further north than I am.
Once they start to drop off in generation, there's always the option of adjusting the angle at each equinox to make sure they are pumping out as much as possible. It's pretty easy to make up the frames for this.
But as long as it's working well, wouldn't touch it. Well done.
Thanks Bug.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:22 am

notasyoung wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:56 pm
Keith wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:05 am
Our solar power is 24 volts DC with an inverter boosting it to 240 volts AC. We have a generator as a back up just in case we have a week of overcast weather bringing the batteries down to below 24 volts. This has not happened since we installed the new gel batteries. When the generator is running, it powers the house & it charges the batteries at the same time so the generator does not have to be running for very long. We would do this at night when we are using lighting in the house &when there is zero input from the solar panels.
ImageImageImageImage
Click on images for a larger view.
Keith.
Keith,

I've never got a straight answer from anyone that knows. For a 24V system, using AGM batteries, where is the mythical 'halfway' point? With 12.5Kwh (25Kwh total) of maximum usable depth I still haven't let the batteries fall below 24v, so as far as I can work out I'm using the float area, never getting close to actually using the batteries capacity, which is the correct way to give longevity to the battery system (Use the area between 24v & 27.4v). Is this correct, from your understanding?
Yes mate, that is how I understand it. I never let it go below 24 volts if I can help it. But I am no expert at this stuff.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

notasyoung
Posts in topic: 3

Post by notasyoung » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Keith wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:22 am
notasyoung wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:56 pm
Keith wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:05 am
Our solar power is 24 volts DC with an inverter boosting it to 240 volts AC. We have a generator as a back up just in case we have a week of overcast weather bringing the batteries down to below 24 volts. This has not happened since we installed the new gel batteries. When the generator is running, it powers the house & it charges the batteries at the same time so the generator does not have to be running for very long. We would do this at night when we are using lighting in the house &when there is zero input from the solar panels.
ImageImageImageImage
Click on images for a larger view.
Keith.
Keith,

I've never got a straight answer from anyone that knows. For a 24V system, using AGM batteries, where is the mythical 'halfway' point? With 12.5Kwh (25Kwh total) of maximum usable depth I still haven't let the batteries fall below 24v, so as far as I can work out I'm using the float area, never getting close to actually using the batteries capacity, which is the correct way to give longevity to the battery system (Use the area between 24v & 27.4v). Is this correct, from your understanding?
Yes mate, that is how I understand it. I never let it go below 24 volts if I can help it. But I am no expert at this stuff.
Keith.
It seems no-one is. Those look like the Giant batteries (I went with their 520A AGMs> price).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grumpy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:11 pm

There is no mythical point!
Different type batteries, different ages temperatures etc will give different optimum discharges.

The new lithium-ion batteries can be fully discharged up to 1500 times but you gotta pay!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bilby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bilby » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm

I've looked into the posibilities of an EMP attack too Grumpy and what could/would happen to the electrical grid, which is another good reason not to be connected to it. Because I'm prepping for WWIII, I've taken EMP's on board, but not yet acted on securing electronic equipment in bunker type protection. My new prepping property has no mains water, electricity or gas anywhere near it. I'm completely off-grid and I have 2 fantastic ground water bores delivering exceptional water quality. I have one using a submersable pump connected to a solar grid system and water tank storage, while the other has a windmill pumping out to the cattle troughs. There's hundreds of meters of piping going in different directions, as I'm on 500+ acres. Like everyone else, I also collect rain water. I have several 3000g tanks storing water. Solar power with battery storage is used for residential living, with an emergency generator back-up. This type system will be developed for the machinery shed and workshop too. The first thing that shuts down or is destroyed In any war like senario anywhere in this world, is the on-grid utilities.
My question to you Grumpy is, would an EMP attack shut down my off-grid system?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:02 am

Without seeing it I do not know for sure but in most probability it will survive

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 am

Bilby wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm
I've looked into the posibilities of an EMP attack too Grumpy and what could/would happen to the electrical grid, which is another good reason not to be connected to it. Because I'm prepping for WWIII, I've taken EMP's on board, but not yet acted on securing electronic equipment in bunker type protection. My new prepping property has no mains water, electricity or gas anywhere near it. I'm completely off-grid and I have 2 fantastic ground water bores delivering exceptional water quality. I have one using a submersable pump connected to a solar grid system and water tank storage, while the other has a windmill pumping out to the cattle troughs. There's hundreds of meters of piping going in different directions, as I'm on 500+ acres. Like everyone else, I also collect rain water. I have several 3000g tanks storing water. Solar power with battery storage is used for residential living, with an emergency generator back-up. This type system will be developed for the machinery shed and workshop too. The first thing that shuts down or is destroyed In any war like senario anywhere in this world, is the on-grid utilities.
My question to you Grumpy is, would an EMP attack shut down my off-grid system?
https://www.powermyhome.uk/pv-solar-pan ... lar-panels

https://www.solarpowerrocks.com/solar-q ... clear-emp/
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bilby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bilby » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks again Keith, the informaton in those links is excellent. Going by the links, Grumpy is correct, in that the panels will probably make it but not the cords and other equipment if operating at the time of an EMP strike. Until now, I hadn't thought about stocking up on replacement parts for anything. It's all down to finances for me and prioritising what's most important for me to survive whatever hardships come my way.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:14 am

Bilby wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:40 pm
Thanks again Keith, the informaton in those links is excellent. Going by the links, Grumpy is correct, in that the panels will probably make it but not the cords and other equipment if operating at the time of an EMP strike. Until now, I hadn't thought about stocking up on replacement parts for anything. It's all down to finances for me and prioritising what's most important for me to survive whatever hardships come my way.
Yes Bilby, believe me, I know all about the lack of finances & having to prioritise. But we lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years, so if we had to go without electricity again, it would not be such a big deal. Having said that the main gain I think for us getting solar power was the use of a fridge/freezer. But we managed before, & we can manage again. As you say, priorities.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bug » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Keith wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:14 am
Bilby wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:40 pm
Yes Bilby, believe me, I know all about the lack of finances & having to prioritise. But we lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years, so if we had to go without electricity again, it would not be such a big deal. Having said that the main gain I think for us getting solar power was the use of a fridge/freezer. But we managed before, & we can manage again. As you say, priorities.
Keith.
I once worked for an electricity company and helped out with the phones when there was a big storm/fire etc. The torrent of abuse was alarming. As was the total lack of preparedness of most. Farmers with no generators. Meat storehouses with coolers that start defrosting after a few hours with no power, also no generator. Sometimes I think we need some sort of week long solar induced blackout to shake these people back into the real world.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links