Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

EMP

Whats do you think is going to happen most and what have you prepared for?
PrepperPete
Posts in topic: 1

EMP

Post by PrepperPete » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I've been prepping for an EMP event. I think, regardless of emergency, learning to live without power (electricity) is a good way to cover many possible events. I've tried to learn old-fashioned gardening techniques and preserving techniques; as well as survival skills such as fire starting. I need someone to teach me to fish and hunt.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 6

Re: EMP

Post by Keith » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am

PrepperPete wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm
I've been prepping for an EMP event. I think, regardless of emergency, learning to live without power (electricity) is a good way to cover many possible events. I've tried to learn old-fashioned gardening techniques and preserving techniques; as well as survival skills such as fire starting. I need someone to teach me to fish and hunt.
To be frank, I think global warming will happen before an EMP strike. I totally agree with your prepping ideas though, climate change is likely to cause a massive overload on the grid & preparing for no electricity is a good move. We lived for over 20 years with no electricity, & have been off grid since cyclone Tracey hit in 74. We are living in New England NSW now, but are still off grid & will remain so.
Learning to hunt & fish is good, but I recommend that you learn how to make traps & how to run a trap line. This will supply you with meat far easier than hunting will.
Check out my video channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/historical ... subscriber Any questions, just ask.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm

The prepper response to EMP and Global Warming is essentially the same. Food, water, defence.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 am

Bug wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm
The prepper response to EMP and Global Warming is essentially the same. Food, water, defence.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lola.lacey
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lola.lacey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:13 am

If Bible Prophecy is any guide there will definitely be an EMP or CEM (I blame CERN). Flooding, Fires & Earthquakes will be more prevalent. But there's scripture that says in Rev 16 that the Waters will not be drinkable. So unless you want to get rounded up into the Cities & get the Mark of the Beast (Rev 13) you will need a year's worth of WATER & FOOD (UN are already growing SPIRULINA + CHLORELLA as sufficient Food Sources-Chinese Men can live on that alone and water for 10yrs) - It will also be my source of Protein, Carbs, Fats, & AA's.

I think FISHING will not viable either as the MERCURY LEVELS are already too high for consumption.
Canned Foods last 5 years; Frozen Veggies last 18 months; Frozen Fruits last 12 months (If you have a Generator in a Faraday Cage to use after EMP)

Revelation 16 (KJV)
1 And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.

2 And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.

3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

4 And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.

5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.

6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.

7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.

8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

My plan is to have a Generator and a Moped in a Faraday Cage with copious amounts of WATER & FOOD. I am a Single Mom who will probly have many more neighbourhood kids to feed. I'm also buying buckets and spades to dig up yard for sewerage. I will also have portable outdoor Stoves with Butane Gas for Cooking, Hot water, and even Pizza.

What I'm struggling with is INVERTERS Will they be needed? to prevent the surge or does Australia already have them on the Power Lines...So that it will resemble a Power Outage & the Generator will work fine in the Power Board with Fuel of course. Any comments?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:00 pm

lola.lacey wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:13 am
If Bible Prophecy is any guide there will definitely be an EMP or CEM (I blame CERN). Flooding, Fires & Earthquakes will be more prevalent. But there's scripture that says in Rev 16 that the Waters will not be drinkable. So unless you want to get rounded up into the Cities & get the Mark of the Beast (Rev 13) you will need a year's worth of WATER & FOOD (UN are already growing SPIRULINA + CHLORELLA as sufficient Food Sources-Chinese Men can live on that alone and water for 10yrs) - It will also be my source of Protein, Carbs, Fats, & AA's.

I think FISHING will not viable either as the MERCURY LEVELS are already too high for consumption.
Canned Foods last 5 years; Frozen Veggies last 18 months; Frozen Fruits last 12 months (If you have a Generator in a Faraday Cage to use after EMP)

Revelation 16 (KJV)
1 And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.

2 And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.

3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

4 And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.

5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.

6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.

7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.

8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

My plan is to have a Generator and a Moped in a Faraday Cage with copious amounts of WATER & FOOD. I am a Single Mom who will probly have many more neighbourhood kids to feed. I'm also buying buckets and spades to dig up yard for sewerage. I will also have portable outdoor Stoves with Butane Gas for Cooking, Hot water, and even Pizza.

What I'm struggling with is INVERTERS Will they be needed? to prevent the surge or does Australia already have them on the Power Lines...So that it will resemble a Power Outage & the Generator will work fine in the Power Board with Fuel of course. Any comments?
This has nothing to do with an imaginary invisible friend/god, this is about global warming climate change.
Gas for cooking is not going to last long, you are better off using a wood burning stove or open fire.
Going off grid is a better alternative, use solar power.
I think if you are planning on staying in a residential area, you will be in for a world of hurt, if you should survive at all. I suggest you rethink your plans with a more realistic outlook. Think sustainable & self-reliance. You have children to think about.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Inverters are for your solar cells. Nothing to do with preventing surges from the grid. Coronal Mass Ejections are predictable about a week in advance. If a big one is on the way, pull your main fuse or trip your main CB. That will separate you from the grid to minimise/stop any damage to circuits and equipment in your house. You'll be able to use your generator without worrying about the grid. A metal (not tile) roof on your house is a big plus here too.

Outdoor overhead powerlines are very succeptible to a CME. Unlike most SHTF scenarios, a CME is a certainty not a possibility. Big ones happen once or twice per year, but at 150,000,000km away and only 16,000km wide, the earth is a very small target for them. Eventually we will get hit again and it will disable every single satellite and knock out the electricity grid. The last big one that hit us happened in the 1800s, when only tiny electricity grids existed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grumpy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:52 am

Flicking the switch or pulling the fuse will do nothing to stop a EMP or CME surge.
A million volts DC will make for some spectacular Arc's, the air gap in a main switch or circuit breaker will mean NOTHING

One will need to disconnect and actually remove the mains entering your place!

Actually 90% of buildings connected to the grid will burn to the ground and or be blown up from the surge
All you got to do is imagine a lightning strike at your power box.

My power comes via three extension leads and I am at the end of a mains circuit, I will have three meters clearance from the mains and many weak points between the main grid and me, If I pull my leads clear and put ear plugs in I will only need to deal with the firestorm that follows

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 pm

You can't have 1 million volts on distribution powerline. The 415V lines flashover at a couple of kV. The wires between the line and your house are only rated at 1kV, so again, go above it and it breaks down before getting to your house.
The MCBs in your house are rated at 2.5kV, and for impulses you generally get several times this. Now to get to anything, you have to flash over two of these in circuit, and you still aren't at ground yet, which is where the flashover must ultimately go to.
If you've opened the MCBs in your switchboard, a line overvoltage has to go over a sustained 2 * 2.5kV + 1kV + whatever is between the active and earth (usually another wire) without having flashed over on the line side. Near impossible.

Opening the MCBs won't stop voltages being induced independently in the wiring in your house if the field strength is high enough, but it will stop them from coming in from the grid.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grumpy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:36 pm

Sorry but not even close to correct
Are you an electrician, I am ! and I have studied EMPs for some time

Link: