Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Discussions about your bags. What's in 'em, where you got the gear, what you're looking for next and helping out other Australian Preppers looking to build theirs.
User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Keith » Sat May 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Countrygirl94 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 pm
Hi,
I’m very new to Prepping and was wondering what item would be best for me to have in my bug out bag. I live in outback QLD and am 7 hours away from a city (south east of Brisbane) My town being 3000 people. We live just on the edge of town and have land 18 acres (not much) 5 dogs which would all attack an intruder. My partner and I can both shoot guns and can both ride horses.. Anyway I want to get us a bug out bag sorted one each so what should I start with? We have 3 rifles a hunting knife each and a compound bow. I am going to by myself a compound bow, So we both have one. All of our dogs are hunting dogs too. I like the idea of having a bag ready that we can grab and crack out. Any help would be appreciated. 👌🏼
Hubby thinks I’m crazy but I think it’s better to be prepared and not need it then to need it and not have it!
I don't recommend a compound bow. If anything goes wrong with it you are not likely to be able to fix it. You can't use cordage for a bow string, & you will not be able to replace the arrows for a compound. Get yourself a traditional bow.
Personally I am not into gadgets, they will eventually break or wear out or the batteries will go flat. They add weight & take up valuable room. All my equipment is 18th century style, it will last a lifetime. If you read through this thread you will find my list of things I carry.
Keith.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Keith » Sat May 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Funksoulbrother wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:47 am
I guess there are many benifits of a flintlock/muzzleloader for survival, seeing as all the accuracy and repeat fire rifles come about and advanced through wars and getting as much lead out as fast as possible.
Thanks for the info Kevin i might have to look at getting me one!
Image
Keith.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mike_B
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Mike_B » Sun May 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi all,
Not going to talk about what I'm packing yet cos I have couple of questions/observations that I would like some feedback on.
Something I have noticed generally across the internet (and this is more relevant to INCH bags), is quite often spare socks don't get a mention, excluding a very early post on this topic who's name I didn't note, which was a good example of what to include (3 pairs in total).
If you are relying on walking any distance for significant time periods, and carrying weight, your feet are going to get a pounding, so clean socks each day can make a big difference. (Wear 1 pair, just washed 1 pair, and spare dry pair for next day).
Not sure how Keith works his moccasins, maybe he doesn't use socks, but for most of us initially?
Also what are people doing about clothes? spare cloths don't seem to rate much either.
Not coming back home anytime soon/ever, would eventually require making your own clothes and footwear, but till you were suitably safe and had time to do those things, some spare clothes would make the early weeks and months a bit easier.


Mike
I wish it weren't so,
but accept the challenge to find an alternative way/s for when things are not the same anymore.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Keith » Sun May 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Mike_B wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:33 pm
Hi all,
Not going to talk about what I'm packing yet cos I have couple of questions/observations that I would like some feedback on.
Something I have noticed generally across the internet (and this is more relevant to INCH bags), is quite often spare socks don't get a mention, excluding a very early post on this topic who's name I didn't note, which was a good example of what to include (3 pairs in total).
If you are relying on walking any distance for significant time periods, and carrying weight, your feet are going to get a pounding, so clean socks each day can make a big difference. (Wear 1 pair, just washed 1 pair, and spare dry pair for next day).
Not sure how Keith works his moccasins, maybe he doesn't use socks, but for most of us initially?
Also what are people doing about clothes? spare cloths don't seem to rate much either.
Not coming back home anytime soon/ever, would eventually require making your own clothes and footwear, but till you were suitably safe and had time to do those things, some spare clothes would make the early weeks and months a bit easier.
No Mike, you are right, I don't wear socks, ever. But I do carry extra clothing.
Keith.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Deimos
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Deimos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pm

It's still early days with constructing my bag, work has been rather full on as late and I find myself too tired to gather supplies, but I'll get there eventually.

So far I only have

1x caribee OPS bag (black)
1x Monocular
1x Military scrim/netting
2x survival books, one detailing what plants are edible in the wild (SAS), how to set traps and what have you and a red cross emergency first aid book
1x flashlight
1x Multitool
1x Kabar short fixed knife
1x sleeping bag

Things I wish to add

1. Compass
2. Local maps (I live rural, so ones of the surrounding forests would be perfect)
3. Extra batteries
4. Solar charger (great for charging a mobile phone, nowadays with inbuilt GPS and the ability to download offline maps it makes held held gamin units redundant, assuming those satellites still work in a SHTF scenario).
5. Ferro rods with striker
6. Bic lighters
7. Cotton balls (for tinder)
8. First aid kit (I may need to construct this one myself as the ones you buy don't come with nearly enough things you will need)
9. Fishing gear
10. Mora hunting knife
11. Fuel container with funnel (Not necessarily for my bag, but good to have for the car, I won't bother siphoning when I can stab a hole in the fuel tank of an abandoned car if it comes to it, most newer cars will have plastic tanks anyway).
12. Hatchet
13. 3x MRE's in my bag, additional food to be packed in the car
13. Water bottle, maybe also a life straw, water purification tablets.
14. UHF radios
15. N95 influenza masks, this might be difficult to procure but I don't want to dish out money on a gas mask
16. Insect repellent
17. Camping stove/ LPG gas bottle/ pots and pans
18. Sunscreen/ sun glasses
19. Pad and pens/pencils, pencils will be useful for plotting and marking things on a map (Such as peaks).

I'm going for more of a scavenging pack here, I will admit I don't know how to hunt, I can shoot (Handguns,shotguns, military rifles, bows) but when it comes to skinning animals and such I'm clueless, about the only thing I know about hunting is that you will die if you only eat rabbits and to avoid consuming the liver of some animals as they contain toxic levels of Vitamin A which will also kill you, plus the whole cross contamination of the intestines of the animal.

Final notes: Some wisdom I will bestow upon you all, if you ever come across spark plugs, break the ceramic off of the plugs (The white stuff), the result will be something you can use to shatter windows with, may come in handy you never know.



Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Keith » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Deimos wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pm
It's still early days with constructing my bag, work has been rather full on as late and I find myself too tired to gather supplies, but I'll get there eventually.

So far I only have

1x caribee OPS bag (black)
1x Monocular
1x Military scrim/netting
2x survival books, one detailing what plants are edible in the wild (SAS), how to set traps and what have you and a red cross emergency first aid book
1x flashlight
1x Multitool
1x Kabar short fixed knife
1x sleeping bag

Things I wish to add

1. Compass
2. Local maps (I live rural, so ones of the surrounding forests would be perfect)
3. Extra batteries
4. Solar charger (great for charging a mobile phone, nowadays with inbuilt GPS and the ability to download offline maps it makes held held gamin units redundant, assuming those satellites still work in a SHTF scenario).
5. Ferro rods with striker
6. Bic lighters
7. Cotton balls (for tinder)
8. First aid kit (I may need to construct this one myself as the ones you buy don't come with nearly enough things you will need)
9. Fishing gear
10. Mora hunting knife
11. Fuel container with funnel (Not necessarily for my bag, but good to have for the car, I won't bother siphoning when I can stab a hole in the fuel tank of an abandoned car if it comes to it, most newer cars will have plastic tanks anyway).
12. Hatchet
13. 3x MRE's in my bag, additional food to be packed in the car
13. Water bottle, maybe also a life straw, water purification tablets.
14. UHF radios
15. N95 influenza masks, this might be difficult to procure but I don't want to dish out money on a gas mask
16. Insect repellent
17. Camping stove/ LPG gas bottle/ pots and pans
18. Sunscreen/ sun glasses
19. Pad and pens/pencils, pencils will be useful for plotting and marking things on a map (Such as peaks).

I'm going for more of a scavenging pack here, I will admit I don't know how to hunt, I can shoot (Handguns,shotguns, military rifles, bows) but when it comes to skinning animals and such I'm clueless, about the only thing I know about hunting is that you will die if you only eat rabbits and to avoid consuming the liver of some animals as they contain toxic levels of Vitamin A which will also kill you, plus the whole cross contamination of the intestines of the animal.

Final notes: Some wisdom I will bestow upon you all, if you ever come across spark plugs, break the ceramic off of the plugs (The white stuff), the result will be something you can use to shatter windows with, may come in handy you never know.
Just some friendly advice from my experience Deimos. Think sustainable. Anything that will break easily or run out is not sustainable. Get equipment that will last.
Keith.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Deimos
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Deimos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Keith wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:04 pm
Deimos wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pm
It's still early days with constructing my bag, work has been rather full on as late and I find myself too tired to gather supplies, but I'll get there eventually.

So far I only have

1x caribee OPS bag (black)
1x Monocular
1x Military scrim/netting
2x survival books, one detailing what plants are edible in the wild (SAS), how to set traps and what have you and a red cross emergency first aid book
1x flashlight
1x Multitool
1x Kabar short fixed knife
1x sleeping bag

Things I wish to add

1. Compass
2. Local maps (I live rural, so ones of the surrounding forests would be perfect)
3. Extra batteries
4. Solar charger (great for charging a mobile phone, nowadays with inbuilt GPS and the ability to download offline maps it makes held held gamin units redundant, assuming those satellites still work in a SHTF scenario).
5. Ferro rods with striker
6. Bic lighters
7. Cotton balls (for tinder)
8. First aid kit (I may need to construct this one myself as the ones you buy don't come with nearly enough things you will need)
9. Fishing gear
10. Mora hunting knife
11. Fuel container with funnel (Not necessarily for my bag, but good to have for the car, I won't bother siphoning when I can stab a hole in the fuel tank of an abandoned car if it comes to it, most newer cars will have plastic tanks anyway).
12. Hatchet
13. 3x MRE's in my bag, additional food to be packed in the car
13. Water bottle, maybe also a life straw, water purification tablets.
14. UHF radios
15. N95 influenza masks, this might be difficult to procure but I don't want to dish out money on a gas mask
16. Insect repellent
17. Camping stove/ LPG gas bottle/ pots and pans
18. Sunscreen/ sun glasses
19. Pad and pens/pencils, pencils will be useful for plotting and marking things on a map (Such as peaks).

I'm going for more of a scavenging pack here, I will admit I don't know how to hunt, I can shoot (Handguns,shotguns, military rifles, bows) but when it comes to skinning animals and such I'm clueless, about the only thing I know about hunting is that you will die if you only eat rabbits and to avoid consuming the liver of some animals as they contain toxic levels of Vitamin A which will also kill you, plus the whole cross contamination of the intestines of the animal.

Final notes: Some wisdom I will bestow upon you all, if you ever come across spark plugs, break the ceramic off of the plugs (The white stuff), the result will be something you can use to shatter windows with, may come in handy you never know.
Just some friendly advice from my experience Deimos. Think sustainable. Anything that will break easily or run out is not sustainable. Get equipment that will last.
Keith.
I agree Keith, being sustainable is one of my weaknesses in this area and I'm sure many other people struggle in this department as well, I'm going to make a thread directed at people like this soon.



Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: What's in your BOB (Bug out Bag)?

Post by Keith » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:45 pm

MasterChief wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:36 am
Thought I'd start this topic to get some feedback from the members.

here's a list of questions to consider... :D
  • What's in your bug out bag?
  • Do you have more than 1 bag type INCH, BOB etc.
  • Do you just have a bucket/s with the grea at home as you don't plan to Bug out?
  • What do you need to add to your bug out bag that you haven't got yet?
  • What do you recommend others MUST have in their BOB's?
I don't make recommendations for other people's gear. My equipment will last me a lifetime living in the wilderness, I personally don't see the point in 72 hour & 24 hour kits, but then that is a personal choice. When I walk out the door, I may not know if I will be returning at all, so I carry all I need for long term.
I only have one bug out bag.
We are all set up off grid at home but are prepared to leave if we have to. We do not expect to have to leave.
We have everything we need.

My Equipment List.

.62 cal/20 gauge flintlock fusil. 42 inch barrel.
.70 caliber smoothbore flintlock pistol.
Gun tools and spare lock parts.
Shot pouch and contents.
Leather drawstring pouch of .60 caliber ball (in knapsack).
Powder horn.
Ball mould and swan shot mould.
5 Gunpowder wallets
Lead ladle.
Butcher/Hunting knife.
Legging knife.
Clasp knife.
Tomahawk.
Fire bag.
Tinderbox.
Belt pouch.
Fishing tackle in brass container.
Two brass snares.
Roll of brass snare wire.
Knapsack.
Scrip.
Market Wallet.
Tin Cup.
Kettle.
Water filter bags (cotton & linen bags).
Medical pouch.
Housewife.
Piece of soap and a broken ivory comb.
Dried foods in bags.
Wooden spoon.
Compass.
Whet stone.
Small metal file.
Oilcloth.
One blanket (Monmouth cap, spare wool waistcoat and wool shirt rolled inside blanket).
Two glass saddle flasks.
Bottle of rum.
This is the equipment I carry now when going bush. One item I will change for a survival situation would be the water bottles. For a lighter pack I would be swapping the glass flasks for my lighter tin canteens.
Image

My main pack/knapsack weighs 9kg.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post