Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Quartz

Strategies and tactics for finding, catching, cleaning food, water. Building shelters, avoiding capture, defence, offence, and more...
RockyGully
Posts in topic: 2

Quartz

Post by RockyGully » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Maybe Keith you could answer this one.I have struck a spark using quartz on a firesteel.I don't know if its 100 percent reliable but the stuff I used was from out west in NSW(Cobar).Has anyone tried anything but flint because there isn't much to be had around here although I have been told it's about.I',m no geoligist :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Re: Quartz

Post by Keith » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 am

RockyGully wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 pm
Maybe Keith you could answer this one.I have struck a spark using quartz on a firesteel.I don't know if its 100 percent reliable but the stuff I used was from out west in NSW(Cobar).Has anyone tried anything but flint because there isn't much to be had around here although I have been told it's about.I',m no geoligist :lol:
Quartz tends to be fractured, but it does work & is very acceptable. I have read that there was more Agate found in tinderboxes than pieces of flint, certainly there is more Agate to be found around here than flint. I carry a musket flint, but there are plenty of rocks around that work in varying degrees.
Various siliceous rocks.
Agate.
One of our group members, Dave Woods, found this in Nundle NSW. At first I thought it was Quartz, & it could be, but it looks as though it could have some Chert in it too. Anyway, it is a siliceous rock & it works fine on a steel.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RockyGully

Post by RockyGully » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks Keith.Funny you should mention Nundle as I have heard that there are flint like rocks there. Just wondering what type of rock would be able to be knapped in a flint like fashion.The agate perhaps?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:35 am

RockyGully wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 pm
Thanks Keith.Funny you should mention Nundle as I have heard that there are flint like rocks there. Just wondering what type of rock would be able to be knapped in a flint like fashion.The agate perhaps?
Yes Rocky, the Aboriginals knap agate. http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-australian.html
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links