Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Longlife food

Just got here? What are you prepping for? Let us know a little about you and why you're here
bigboybobby
Posts in topic: 1

Longlife food

Post by bigboybobby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:03 am

Hi, have been trying longlife food and am very disappointed with what is on offer here in Australia. I went to my local camping store and purchased 4 packs of freeze dried dinners, they sounded great, packaged with attractive photos, but on making them they were tasteless, odorless and bland. The brand was made in New Zealand. Futermore at $12 a serve not good value, on contacting the manufacturer he admitted that a 'dinner' portion was the 2 person pack at $16. So then purchased the American made WEST brand survival foods Sample pack, it had 4 flavors of meals their 'favorites' , they were marginally better but not by much, a lot cheaper too. For me if I had to survive long term it wouldn't be with these types of food as thoughts of suicide would soon be my constant companion if that was all I had to eat. So what next? canned food? So I tried different brands of canned meals and found some were acceptable if doctored with a dash of Worcestershire sauce or added chopped up homemade beef jerky. I have searched canned foods everywhere and could not find a canned 'complete dinner' anywhere, why is that? Why isn't there a range of 500 Gm canned dinners? I mean that every can had a good amount of meat and a good range of vegetables? Say 10% meat (beef,chicken,lamb) and chopped potato, carrot, green bean, peas, corn with a rich gravy. That could be a base to have as is or add curry powder or a sauce to change the favour and smell. So one base meal could be 4-6 different tasting, nutritious, filling, tasty dinners. Why hasn't any manufacturer woken upto the worldwide demand for this type of food? Canned food has a fantastic shelf life, can be eaten hot or out of the can, and compared to the dried food much better value plus looking forward to eating. The will to live has to have little treats to look forward to and a good, tasty meal is one of those treats. I think there is money to be made with this idea.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dugout

Re: Longlife food

Post by Dugout » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Have you tried Harvest Brand, they have a number of varieties and are available at supermarkets and come in 425g tins?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ComTech14

Post by ComTech14 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am

Have you tried the hunger buster MRE, or the Quartermaster self heating meals? I have tried both, and they are decent tasting, but expensive.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Dugout wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm
Have you tried Harvest Brand, they have a number of varieties and are available at supermarkets and come in 425g tins?
Agreed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links