Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Ideal Retreat Location

Just got here? What are you prepping for? Let us know a little about you and why you're here
MattintheACT
Posts in topic: 1

Ideal Retreat Location

Post by MattintheACT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:49 pm

When buying a retreat, how far from a populated hub (e.g. city) is ideal?
My thoughts: too close = increased risk of looters, security risks, etc. Too far = decreased awareness and access to assistance (e.g. medical). My guess is more than 1km and less than 300kms. Thoughts?
Where in Oz would be a good place?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Re: Ideal Retreat Location

Post by Frostbite » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:18 am

Far enough to access the benefits of town, far enough away to not be bothered by townsfolk.

I chose about a 30 minute drive for my retreat, with some of it being private road through neighbouring properties (guaranteed legal access for me but no right of carriageway for outsiders), so no public road passing my property.

Close enough to town to ride a pushbike if shtf.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bilby

Post by Bilby » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi Matt, I've chewed over this question for many years. As a Victorian, I've recently chosen the Green Triangle in the South West. It's no where near any cities and I'm 20 minutes drive away from a main regional town. Everything I need for prepping is around me and access to emergency facilities. My workplace is 45 minutes away. Emergency, community management and preparedness is an area I'm trained and skilled in. I'm happy and contented with my new prepping property.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Thunda

Post by Thunda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:48 am

MattintheACT wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:49 pm
When buying a retreat, how far from a populated hub (e.g. city) is ideal?
My thoughts: too close = increased risk of looters, security risks, etc. Too far = decreased awareness and access to assistance (e.g. medical). My guess is more than 1km and less than 300kms. Thoughts?
Where in Oz would be a good place?
G'day.

This topic has had me thinking for decades, in the late sixths and early seventies l always thought it would be a nuke fest, so l thought I'd want to be as far away from a city or military base.

I reckoned I'd be better off where l could buy acreage cheap, like Tassy, naturally isolated by sea, good rainfall, plenty of timber, heaps of wildlife ( tucker ) plenty of limestone country ( caves, man made or natural ) sea food, grass land.

Tassy is still one of the cheapest places to by natural land or you could move to An opal mining town and live underground, but there is a lot of others already living there and survive because of money from the government, ya can't eat opals or dirt.

And no matter where you are ya need water and lots of clean water, the best is from a spring through limestone like in Tassy.

But I'm my opinion it all depends on how bad it gets, l planed for the worst case scenario, it's like not stockpiling enough fire wood for winter if ya don't have enough ya stuffed, if ya don't have good soil and water for veg and fruit you can't store preserved food.

Ya need a power supply, one that uses natural fuel, l have a steam engine and heavy boiler, steam engines last for decades if looked after, this provides mechanical power for milling, electricity, steam for cooking, heating, water treatment and the list goes on.

Steam has been in constant use since it was invented even nuclear reactors.

If you have a family and need to deal with the worst case scenario you need to consider all the above, if you believe ( like most of us ) that life as we know it is about to turn to shit big time you need to either do it properly or perish along with the rest.

I'm fairly sure l got it right, but it took many years to find the right place and then more years to find the right equipment learn how to use it and maintain it, but now I'm well past my use by date, if the shit hit the fan twenty or fourty years ago l would more than likely got through, and still would stand a good chance.

But don't believe me, I'm just an old burnt out bushman, do your own research, after all nobody listens to old farts anymore they live in the past, but the past has all the answers so where do you go to get the answers? Google?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links