Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Likelihood of a major catastrophe in the next 10 years

Polls and General discussions about TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It)

Likelihood of a major catastrophe in the next 10 years

You may select 1 option

View results

StephanH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Likelihood of a major catastrophe in the next 10 years

Post by StephanH » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 am

I live in the Huon River Valley region of Tasmania. A few years back now a local council did some disaster management planning on the unlikely event of a tidal wave. It's a valid risk to appreciate given the topography of the subject area. The likelihood is relatively low though and I thought the press release was somewhat self indulgent. They didn't like it when I suggested a snow blitz was more likely and had greater potential deadly impacts than a tidal event. They weren't and haven't planned for that - the swings and roundabouts of our weather may make them regret that - or not.

There are a plethora of possibilities for disaster given that we humans have always pretty much lived on the edge. It's obvious we're hellbent on killing ourselves in one form or another if you just look at the way we continue to shit in our own nests and ignore the need to fly the coup. So I've always thought in possibilities. Two things have been uppermost in my mind now since 9/11

The next step - biological terrorism
and
well, this is out there but I have an increasing fear of distant rumbling that builds in volume. Mega quake/volcano eruption or pole shift? dunno, just sayin'

Cheers
Stephan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paul » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:39 am

NuclearCop wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:32 am
Paul wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 am
NuclearCop wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:38 pm
No geomagnetic reversal option? That said, that might take more than 10 years to happen. I personally hope it does...
Caused by?
Have a read about it here: https://undark.org/article/books-alanna ... ng-magnet/
Thankyou this could also explain earthquake, volcano and weather.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Keith » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I chose climate change, but whether or not it will be a major concern in the next 10 years I can't say, & I don't think anyone else can either. You change one thing, & it changes other things. But I do think it is a major concern. As the climate warms, we will see migrations moving from the North to the South. More shark & croc sightings have already been reported, cane toads are already moving further South. This will mean northern snake species & mossies will also be on the move along with more crop pests.
We are having to water our gardens more often, the winters have not been cold enough to kill off the pests. The leaves of plants in the garden are literally drying & dieing in the heat & we have to use shade cloth to protect certain plants now. Growing your own food will become more & more important, as the government prioritises mining over farming & imports foods from overseas which are inferior.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sean.donnelly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sean.donnelly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I voted power grid failure but only because it was the closest to what I think will actually happen. If anyone has done any research into world-wide supply lines then you will know just how vulnerable they are. A few years ago, we had a tiny little company ( I believe it was somewhere in Europe) that manufactured a single component. The problem was that almost ALL car manufacturers in Australia, at the time, used the component from that single company. The company was going to go bust and it was going to take down every car manufacturer in Australia with it. I, actually, do not recall how they worked around it but it points up supply line vulnerabilities perfectly.

Almost every place in the world is linked by massive numbers of "just in time" component deliveries. It only takes a very small hiccough, especially if it's in exactly the right place, and the entire global economy falls apart.
There was a video, not long before the Global Financial Collapse iirc, that pointed out how one VERY small bank in a VERY small country somewhere in Central Europe could go bankrupt and domino effect all the way up to the largest global banks.

Want to know what our biggest vulnerability is?
Our ULTRA complex economy is SO complex that NOBODY knows how it works. That's why financial advisors can't get it right more than about 10% of the time. With a massively complex economy, manufacturing grid, etc. it is, almost, certain that there WILL be a tiny glitch somewhere in the world that will cascade upwards, with a personified butterfly effect, and take whole damned thing down.

Worst possible outcome is that, even before it's recognised as a problem, it could already be past the point of no return.
And it COULD go from realisation to downfall in a matter of days.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MasterChief
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MasterChief » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 am

sean.donnelly wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:41 pm
Almost every place in the world is linked by massive numbers of "just in time" component deliveries. It only takes a very small hiccough, especially if it's in exactly the right place, and the entire global economy falls apart.
This is especially true for our fuel security as we derive most of our fuel rom Singapore and South Korea with very little refined petroleum manufactured in Australia.

All of this crystal ball gazing, which is what we are all doing, is predicated by our beliefs that something will happen. Its not possible to prepare for everything, but doing nothing is what most people do and is the worst thing of all.

Once the trucks stop the food and medicines stop quickly!

Australian fuel stockholding capability

* Chilled and frozen goods delivery - 7 days
* Dry goods - 9 days
* Retail pharmacy supplies - 7 days
* Hospital pharmacy supplies - 3 days
* Petrol stations - 3 days

National Roads and Motorists Association

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benarkin-Rebel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Benarkin-Rebel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:42 pm

MasterChief wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 am
Have your say.
We don't have ten years!
we will be lucky to have ten weeks the way things are going, and quite obviously you have not taken the Deagle report to mind, as that is BY-2025 app 6-years, and the word BY, could be tomorrow when the TEOTW starts: and Australia suffers badly,
We have so much going on :
The Ring of fire:
The new supper volcano found south of Japan, that is rising undersea,
The super volcano no one is talking about located in the middle of the pacific, heating the pacific,
We are only a finger away from Armageddon, and some fool is going to press that button, which will open the gates of Hell
The Russians are about to bypass the Swift : which will create great losses for the Rothschild's, who use the USA as their proxy army
The Chinese are about to drop the dollar stating late next month,
The yanks are itching for a war to fix their economy that is held up y fresh air,
The sun is acting crazy and its only a matter of time before we get a large solar flare, that will destroy life as we know it.
Earthquakes are off the charts, and the poles are shifting, its happened many times before, and by accounts withheld from the general population, due to the indoctrination that has been going on for the last one-hundred years, there were five great civilisation's before out failed one, that vanished, (was this a pole shift) for they can happen within hours, as scientist that have not been bought, have brought to light, were buttercups and green vegetation was found in the mouths of many woolly mammoths that are being found in the permafrost, in the icy waste lands up north (been quick frozen thousand of years ago):
so I would say you are reaching with 10-years, We are so screwed now, particular those that are not getting prepared,
and the only right time to get prepared was yesterday.

anyway, no one will be fully prepared, for what's coming; as it will test the most hardened prepper.

Benarkin Rebel: living one day at a time.

LODAT = Living One Day At a Time

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paul » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Benarkin-Rebel wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:42 pm
MasterChief wrote:
Have your say.
We don't have ten years!
we will be lucky to have ten weeks the way things are going, and quite obviously you have not taken the Deagle report to mind, as that is BY-2025 app 6-years, and the word BY, could be tomorrow when the TEOTW starts: and Australia suffers badly,
The Ring of fire:
The super volcano no one is talking about located in the middle of the pacific, heating the pacific,
We are only a finger away from Armageddon, and some fool is going to press that button, which will open the gates of Hell
The Russians are about to bypass the Swift : which will create great losses for the Rothschild's, who use the USA as their proxy army
The yanks are itching for a war to fix their economy that is held up y fresh air,
The sun is acting crazy and its only a matter of time before we get a large solar flare, that will destroy life as we know it.
Earthquakes are off the charts, and the poles are shifting, its happened many times before, and by accounts withheld from the general population, due to the indoctrination that has been going on for the last one-hundred years, there were five great civilisation's before out failed one, that vanished, (was this a pole shift) for they can happen within hours, as scientist that have not been bought, have brought to light, were buttercups and green vegetation was found in the mouths of many woolly mammoths that are being found in the permafrost, in the icy waste lands up north (been quick frozen thousand of years ago):
so I would say you are reaching with 10-years, We are so screwed now, particular those that are not getting prepared,

anyway, no one will be fully prepared, for what's coming; as it will test the most hardened prepper.

Less than 10yrs i hope your right. I'm 47 and the sooner the better.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Benarkin-Rebel wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:42 pm
MasterChief wrote:
Have your say.
We don't have ten years!
The Ring of fire:

Very interesting, thank you for posting.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 pm

There are other things that concern me in regards to our survival which no one seems to be addressing. We are prepping for our future survival, but we are obviously in the minority. Present laws in Australia have seriously effected our chances of survival in certain circumstances. For one we have these pointless & ineffectual gun laws. Certain guns have been made illegal or are restricted. No matter what your views are on firearms legislation I think few people will argue that a gun is superior to many other tools in certain survival situations.

Our government has virtually banned armed defence. You are not legally able to purchase or carry anything for the specific use of self defence or for the defence of your family. If you own a gun, you are not legally allowed to use it for defence regardless of how big the assailant is or what weapons they are using. Over the past months I have seen news items stating that shop owners are arming themselves, what happens to these people I have no idea, but what they are doing is illegal according to our corrupt government.
ImageImage

Being self reliant is not illegal at present, but self reliance right now is unattainable. For some people the council rates & private rents have risen so high that they are homeless. Land owners forced to leave their homes & their property sold by the local council. If you then have to move into town, then the rent is even more expensive. Present land owners NEED to keep earning, because they still have to pay rates on their own land. We get nothing in return for these rates, we are off grid & off all services. We have to pay the PP Board but we get nothing for it. We even have to pay a fee to the council because we are using composting toilets!!! The government prioritises mining over farming, more & more we are depending on imports from overseas & farmers have been committing suicide.

In WW2 the Papuans were our allies & they helped save many of our service men. Now the Indonesians are committing genocide in West Papua & Australia & the USA sanctions it. Donald Trump has an investment in the gold mine there, & the Australian government is actually condoning this genocide & paying large amounts of money to the Indonesian government to help!!! This is our government we are talking about! What happened to our honour? Our sense of righteousness? This is a human rights violation. Do you still trust your government to do the right thing? Do you trust the Indonesian government?
ImageImageImageImage

Many of the problems to come & the problems we are facing now is caused by our corrupt government system. As a minority we have no power to change things at all. What NEEDS to happen is for our government to be sacked, & a whole new non corrupt system put in place. There is no way this will happen short of a revolution. In other countries it can & has happened, but it will not happen in Australia. Too many people living in the cities don't give a damn, others have their heads buried in the sand, & so many others are afflicted with apathy, "She'll Be Right Mate"! Well she won't be right mate, things are going to get worse. Whether or not it will happen in the time I have left I can't say, but things don't feel right & sooner or later I think the s**t will hit the fan & it will be our own government that will bring us down.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sean.donnelly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sean.donnelly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:57 pm

MasterChief wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 am

Australian fuel stockholding capability

* Chilled and frozen goods delivery - 7 days
* Dry goods - 9 days
* Retail pharmacy supplies - 7 days
* Hospital pharmacy supplies - 3 days
* Petrol stations - 3 days

National Roads and Motorists Association
All of these numbers ONLY apply IF it were on normal days. In a situation, similar to the suggested one, everyone (in the know) would be trying to get hold of the last of the goods. (Especially fuel)
Those numbers would probably be fine if they were in hours instead of days.
Just look at hurricanes, etc., in other countries...the stocks, on the shelves, last hours. There would be NO resupply because there wouldn't be fuel for the trucks. (And no-one would be silly enough to send it out even if there were.)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links