Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Prepping is not all doom and gloom.

Whats do you think is going to happen most and what have you prepared for?
Keith
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Prepping is not all doom and gloom.

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:53 am

Stealth wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 am
Benarkin-Rebel wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:07 pm
Prepping can be
To become self sufficient and have the ability to survive should the need arise.
And in this day and age, we all have to be aware,
what we have is not going to last:
I absolutely agree with you Benarkin. For me, prepping has very little to do with anyone else (aka. marauders, possible wars, etc. etc.). It is 99% about ensuring that my family are taken care of. I'm extremely glad that in this age of technology it's easier than ever to learn things without knowing someone personally that can do it.
Want to learn how the basics of carpentry? Youtube. Want to learn how to make a great greenhouse set up that will see you through winter? Forums. Want to know how to make a Queen Victoria spongecake? Food blogs.
Sure, it's not the same as being there when someone does something to learn the feel, smell, taste, sound etc, but it's FAR better than static pictures that don't always tell the story.
What we have won't last. The environment can't support the human race the way it has done. It's almost certainly too late to reverse a lot of the damage that we've done as a species, but there are some things that we can do to at least reduce what we're doing now. Younger generations are starting to get into a reduced waste way of life and it's a great thing to see!

And I know it's been mentioned already but there's great satisfaction at looking at something that you've made with your own two hands that's serviceable and does what it's supposed to do. I can't wait until I can look at a meal that's on our table and know that we made every part of it. It's a long ways off yet, but I look forward to that :)
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am

Prepping isn’t doom an gloom at all being a prepper is really just a lifestyle I know plenty of folks out that don’t consider them selves preppers but they are they grow there owe fruit an veg and can,preserve,pickle,and dry storing it away to be used later in the year when fruits are not available. Most of them enjoy hunting and fishing as well.
People like this really have no idea what a prepper is other than the stereo type we have all seen on the idiot box (TV). The people like this and my self it’s a life stile Im just a little more prepared if an when It all turns bad
I believe people who live like this An treat it as a life stile will have a great advantage in the event of shtf it going to be second nature life goes on.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm

John wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am
Prepping isn’t doom an gloom at all being a prepper is really just a lifestyle I know plenty of folks out that don’t consider them selves preppers but they are they grow there owe fruit an veg and can,preserve,pickle,and dry storing it away to be used later in the year when fruits are not available. Most of them enjoy hunting and fishing as well.
People like this really have no idea what a prepper is other than the stereo type we have all seen on the idiot box (TV). The people like this and my self it’s a life stile Im just a little more prepared if an when It all turns bad
I believe people who live like this An treat it as a life stile will have a great advantage in the event of shtf it going to be second nature life goes on.
Totally agree, just as my family did pre & post WW2. Prepper was not a name back then.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm

That’s right Keith they weren’t called prepers it was how people lived and survived. There’s plenty of tried and tested and proved methods of survival we can all learn and use from past generations especially those who lived through war time and the depression.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:44 pm

John wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm
That’s right Keith they weren’t called prepers it was how people lived and survived. There’s plenty of tried and tested and proved methods of survival we can all learn and use from past generations especially those who lived through war time and the depression.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bug » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Much of what we do isn't really just prepping. It's normal lifestyle. Grow a garden. Keep the pantry full. Have a log fire. Have off grid electricity. Keep a few spare gas bottles. Go hunting.
All regular run of the mill stuff that didn't seem unusual until we went and got addicted to smart phones.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Bug wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 pm
Much of what we do isn't really just prepping. It's normal lifestyle. Grow a garden. Keep the pantry full. Have a log fire. Have off grid electricity. Keep a few spare gas bottles. Go hunting.
All regular run of the mill stuff that didn't seem unusual until we went and got addicted to smart phones.
Exactly right Bug, a lifestyle I learnt from my parents post WW2 & have carried on. However, we don't have a smart phone :)
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links