Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Blackout.

Choose your own (Survival) Adventure - Scenarios. We want your scenarios ad your input. Propose a scenario and let the community tell you how they would survive in your world.
Keith
Posts in topic: 5

Blackout.

Post by Keith » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:55 am

The lights have gone out, the electricity grid is down. You don't know why but it appears to be wide spread.

1) What are the things you would do immediately?
2) What would you definitely NOT do?
3) A whole week has passed with no electricity. Now you have no water, no sewage disposal, local shops & supermarkets have been broken into & stock stolen. For some reason in your area there is no longer any rubbish collection & it is piling up in the streets. What do you do now?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Blackout.

Post by Paul » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Leave population go bush listen to radio. Wait for answers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Paul wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:21 pm
Leave population go bush listen to radio. Wait for answers.
Ever get the feeling that we are alone on this forum?! :roll: is it holidays, or is this normal?
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:51 pm

:lol: I thought you would have realized this much earlier. But don't be disheartened i enjoy acknowledgement. These sights are pretty much all the same.These people seem mostly pretty much all the same. Except for the possible usual asshole you get in group . But you'll find most keep to themselves probably because
A. They feel stupid or embarrassed.
B. They think everyone else is stupid but can't offer advice because they don't care or have any.
C. Know more than everyone else and just like to troll for a giggle. At the end of the day i believe someone out there still receive benefits of what we might post and that belief even with no acknowledgement is enough for me.
And you should be proud of your input as most has caught my attention. The main thing to remember is YOU CAN'T PLEASE 100% OF THE PEOPLE 100%OF THE TIME . But you have my respect most of the time lol.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am

Paul wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:51 pm
:lol: I thought you would have realized this much earlier. But don't be disheartened i enjoy acknowledgement. These sights are pretty much all the same.These people seem mostly pretty much all the same. Except for the possible usual asshole you get in group . But you'll find most keep to themselves probably because
A. They feel stupid or embarrassed.
B. They think everyone else is stupid but can't offer advice because they don't care or have any.
C. Know more than everyone else and just like to troll for a giggle. At the end of the day i believe someone out there still receive benefits of what we might post and that belief even with no acknowledgement is enough for me.
And you should be proud of your input as most has caught my attention. The main thing to remember is YOU CAN'T PLEASE 100% OF THE PEOPLE 100%OF THE TIME . But you have my respect most of the time lol.
Thanks for that, I think ;)
Odd though because my own forum has gone quiet too, & this is not usual. We have a lot of good members who do participate, but just lately it has all gone quiet. Still, as you say, I keep posting anyway.
Regards, Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:26 pm

I'll resurrect this thread.
What would I do? Nothing much. If I really need electricity I will start my Honda generator. I mainly cook with gas. Lights are a luxury. I have a gas esky and three 9kg bottles in the garage.

What will I not do? I won't panic.

After a week I will reassess my situation and the likelihood of power being restored. I have the option to relocate to my off grid rural retreat. I keep enough fuel spare to make the return trip.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:17 am

A mains grid Blackout would/is not a problem for us because we are off grid. If our solar power & backup generator was down through an EMP attack, this would not effect our water supply or our sewage system. We lived for over 20 years with no electricity, so we could manage just fine.
We do not live in the city, so looting & violence would not be such a problem, but having said this I did find two blokes sneaking up on our house one time, hiding in the bushes, so the danger is still there, but not as immediate as it would be in the city.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Al71
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Al71 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:24 am

We are not rural but do live out about 12 kms of Hervey Bay on a few acres, have solar system with battery bank and on usual day am 75% self sufficient, in this grid down scenario we could get 100% by only using the power for the water pump as we are on tank water and for refrigeration, but we are still connected to the grid so if the outage was caused by an emp well as you know my system would be fried as well,lol
So I would hunker down, remember they say with our just in time delivery system we are only 9 meals away from anarchy, so home defence and security to me would start being a major priority say after day 2,
There are a couple of documentaries that Nat geo did covering this scenario nationwide blackout caused by a cyber attack one set in America and one set in the UK, a quick YouTube search for American blackout and uk blackout will get you there if you fellas have not already seen it
What makes me laugh though I tell family and friends of my concerns and my prepping habits, no one knows what I got exactly and where it is, lol, but they all have the same response “ oh well I know where I am going in an emergency, straight to your place” . I can tell you now that ain’t happening lol, I prep for my family,,
Who else experiences this

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:13 am

Al71 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:24 am
We are not rural but do live out about 12 kms of Hervey Bay on a few acres, have solar system with battery bank and on usual day am 75% self sufficient, in this grid down scenario we could get 100% by only using the power for the water pump as we are on tank water and for refrigeration, but we are still connected to the grid so if the outage was caused by an emp well as you know my system would be fried as well,lol
So I would hunker down, remember they say with our just in time delivery system we are only 9 meals away from anarchy, so home defence and security to me would start being a major priority say after day 2,
There are a couple of documentaries that Nat geo did covering this scenario nationwide blackout caused by a cyber attack one set in America and one set in the UK, a quick YouTube search for American blackout and uk blackout will get you there if you fellas have not already seen it
What makes me laugh though I tell family and friends of my concerns and my prepping habits, no one knows what I got exactly and where it is, lol, but they all have the same response “ oh well I know where I am going in an emergency, straight to your place” . I can tell you now that ain’t happening lol, I prep for my family,,
Who else experiences this
Close friends & family know to come here if it all hits the fan. No one else knows where we are.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:02 pm

I don't tell anyone, even family. My mrs and kids have worked it out, and a few prepper mates I met many years ago on another forum, but that's all.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links