Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

A Lot of Views, But Few Replies. Why?

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
John
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A Lot of Views, But Few Replies. Why?

Post by John » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Im all new to forums and how many active people are on them but I do agree seems quiet I thought there would be a lot more interested people here

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 pm

John wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:13 pm
Im all new to forums and how many active people are on them but I do agree seems quiet I thought there would be a lot more interested people here
Yes one would think so John, Australia is a big place & not many forums like this one. I guess they just want to lurk but not contribute, a great pitty.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Well Keith all we can do is hope for some more like minded people to sign up and share some of there hints An tips there’s or ways something new to learn

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:42 am

John wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:50 pm
Well Keith all we can do is hope for some more like minded people to sign up and share some of there hints An tips there’s or ways something new to learn
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stealth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Stealth » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:24 am

Pretty simple answer for me. I lurk a few forums (obviously this is one of them!) but find that the biggest drawback to dipping my toes in is how quickly people tend to judge new folk harshly. Or not bother to develop the relationships of the forum by only engaging with the 'regulars'. I've seen many a forum die because a core group would only really interact with each other.
Encouraging new people by actively interacting with them seems to be a problem for a lot of folks who're comfortable with the people that they've been communicating with a for a while. I still have very close friends that I made in forums over a decade ago so I understand the friendships that grow. So interacting with new folks and also posting new threads can help. If the only three threads are active, it indicates that there's not much new information being shared, and not much talk going on beyond the 'regulars' who already know each other well. In that kind of situation I'll read the new replies and then move right along.

I'd like to get into discussion about prepping more, but it can be tough to break into that core group if no one will really engage beyond one line answers *shrug*. I'm not saying this forum specifically is like that, but I've known many to be and as a result I just tend to hang back and watch to see what I can learn.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 am

Stealth wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:24 am
Pretty simple answer for me. I lurk a few forums (obviously this is one of them!) but find that the biggest drawback to dipping my toes in is how quickly people tend to judge new folk harshly. Or not bother to develop the relationships of the forum by only engaging with the 'regulars'. I've seen many a forum die because a core group would only really interact with each other.
Encouraging new people by actively interacting with them seems to be a problem for a lot of folks who're comfortable with the people that they've been communicating with a for a while. I still have very close friends that I made in forums over a decade ago so I understand the friendships that grow. So interacting with new folks and also posting new threads can help. If the only three threads are active, it indicates that there's not much new information being shared, and not much talk going on beyond the 'regulars' who already know each other well. In that kind of situation I'll read the new replies and then move right along.

I'd like to get into discussion about prepping more, but it can be tough to break into that core group if no one will really engage beyond one line answers *shrug*. I'm not saying this forum specifically is like that, but I've known many to be and as a result I just tend to hang back and watch to see what I can learn.
If there is a core group here, it is only because no one else is interacting. I keep posting, but I am not getting any replies except from just a couple of members. I can't say that I know anyone on this forum especially, & I am finding it very discouraging not getting many replies to my posts. IF this forum were to go down, it will be because the main posters simply gave up trying. There is certainly no core group to "break into" here, not enough activity here all round. It has picked up a little more of late, but not much. I for one would very much appreciate you joining in here & sharing your opinions Stealth.
Regards, Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Fair enough, I guess I'll pipe up a bit more often ;) I agree, it can be very discouraging to not get replies when you're trying to learn or build a bit of a community. I've seen a few forums where there are folks who are clique-y and it makes it tough to get involved. I guess that made me a little gun-shy. I think often it comes down to the fact that there's a lot of questions already answered, and discussion already taken place. With nothing new to talk about, people get bored and drift off.
You kinda need the new blood to keep conversation going but when the new blood feels to intimidated to ask anything, the questions and discussion grind to halt. Generally that's when I see forums go under.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Stealth wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm
Fair enough, I guess I'll pipe up a bit more often ;) I agree, it can be very discouraging to not get replies when you're trying to learn or build a bit of a community. I've seen a few forums where there are folks who are clique-y and it makes it tough to get involved. I guess that made me a little gun-shy. I think often it comes down to the fact that there's a lot of questions already answered, and discussion already taken place. With nothing new to talk about, people get bored and drift off.
You kinda need the new blood to keep conversation going but when the new blood feels to intimidated to ask anything, the questions and discussion grind to halt. Generally that's when I see forums go under.
Even if there have been answers to questions, 1) they might not have the right answer, & 2) there is more than one way to skin a cat. Sometimes there is a right way & a wrong way, but not always. I welcome other people's points of view, they have often come up with something I had not thought of. Even if you have the same answer, it must be good to have that fact confirmed if you are a newbie.
PS. Love your avatar, my first smile of the day :)
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 am

That's true.

The other reason that I tend to stay quiet is that the reason that I got into prepping was not prepping for the world ending or anything like that. I was fascinated with a return to a simpler lifestyle and a reduction of dependence on modern necessities. Prepping for me is about prepping food so that my family wastes less. So that we contribute more to our community by spreading around the wealth of natural abundance.

I'm not really about guns, hand to hand combat, and camming up to hide under bushes from prying eyes. I definitely understand that for many prepping folk that's a driving factor. It's just that for me, it's not *shrug*. I've had people openly mock me for not being interested in that side of the prepping world and it can be a bit off-putting.
It's often easier to sit back and learn quietly than risk setting someone off when they think you're judging their lifestyle. Nah mate, you do you... It's just not for me is all. Heh.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 am

Stealth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 am
That's true.

The other reason that I tend to stay quiet is that the reason that I got into prepping was not prepping for the world ending or anything like that. I was fascinated with a return to a simpler lifestyle and a reduction of dependence on modern necessities. Prepping for me is about prepping food so that my family wastes less. So that we contribute more to our community by spreading around the wealth of natural abundance.

I'm not really about guns, hand to hand combat, and camming up to hide under bushes from prying eyes. I definitely understand that for many prepping folk that's a driving factor. It's just that for me, it's not *shrug*. I've had people openly mock me for not being interested in that side of the prepping world and it can be a bit off-putting.
It's often easier to sit back and learn quietly than risk setting someone off when they think you're judging their lifestyle. Nah mate, you do you... It's just not for me is all. Heh.
Well I am very interested in self reliance & self sufficiency Stealth, we have been living off grid now for over 40 years. We grow our own food & supply our own electricity & water. We use compost toilets & cook on a wood fired stove. But at the same time experience has taught me that we need to be armed to protect ourselves, not just in a shtf event, but right now. Also this system that the majority of people live by is not sustainable, & sooner or later it will all hit the fan. On top of this we have the very real threat from global warming, which by most accounts will be an end of the world event if it is not stabilised very soon. There are a lot of things to be considered in prepping if we want to survive & we want our great grandchildren to survive.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links