Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Anyone else here use a wood burning stove for cooking? Show us your stove.

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
Keith
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Anyone else here use a wood burning stove for cooking? Show us your stove.

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 am

Stealth wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:11 am
I have a deep and abiding love for Esse and Aga stoves and I'm so keen to get one, one day. The sad thing is that they're SO expensive (how much? I CAN BUY A CAR FOR THAT!!!) but I figure for dual fuel, heating, and water heating in one unit it's probably worth it. I've cooked on open fires many times over the years, but having the option to use electricity as well is a necessity with a family in my books. We plan to have an off-grid elec system that will allow for the stove, mostly during summer months when it's too hot to light a fire. But in saying that, we don't really cook when it's hot. We prefer to go for salads etc. anyway. That deserves more thought. It would certainly bring down the cost of the oven.
It takes a very large solar power system to run an electric stove as well as a fridge/freezer. It ill also take a large generator to do the same thing, & that will use fuel. Gas is an option, but not if you are interested in looking after the environment. We have our stove going all year round, & although it can get hot in the kitchen, with the windows open & a fan going it is just fine. The more you have, the more there is to go wrong. That is what I have found over the years anyway. With our wood stove & the solar power we manage just fine, no complaints. We do have a petrol generator for a back-up, but have rarely needed to use it. We also have my sons washing machine which uses a lot of power & water, but will be changing this at some stage. Fore small washing we have a mini washing machine in the house. The big machine is in an outside laundry.

I too love the Aga stoves, & have always wanted to get one, but as you say they are very expensive, so we settled for another brand. But if I ever see a second hand Aga for sale, I will be sorely tempted to get it.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stealth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Stealth » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:07 am

Good points. I was also considering a HomeBiogas 2.0 system (not sure if we're allowed to link here, but it's on kickstarter at the moment). The climate in the area we're looking to buy would be perfect for the set up but I'd really like to see a lot more long-term reviews before digging deep. That being said, they're not very expensive at all in comparison to an Esse stove! One of those piped in from outside for days when it's too hot to use a wood fire (and when the system would work best, it loves heat) would remove the requirement for an elect/gas option in the first place.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bug » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 pm

I have a coonara. Great for heating, and we occasionally roast potatoes in it. Wouldn't want to try in the summer time though.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Stealth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:07 am
Good points. I was also considering a HomeBiogas 2.0 system (not sure if we're allowed to link here, but it's on kickstarter at the moment). The climate in the area we're looking to buy would be perfect for the set up but I'd really like to see a lot more long-term reviews before digging deep. That being said, they're not very expensive at all in comparison to an Esse stove! One of those piped in from outside for days when it's too hot to use a wood fire (and when the system would work best, it loves heat) would remove the requirement for an elect/gas option in the first place.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Bug wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 pm
I have a coonara. Great for heating, and we occasionally roast potatoes in it. Wouldn't want to try in the summer time though.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links