Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Anyone else here use a wood burning stove for cooking? Show us your stove.

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
Keith
Posts in topic: 8

Anyone else here use a wood burning stove for cooking? Show us your stove.

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:26 pm

I have spent my entire life so far cooking on a wood fired stove or over an open fire. How many of you cook on a wood burning stove or over an open fire? Show us what you have at home.

Open fireplace in Elm Cottage. This has a buggy axle set into the chimney with chains & hooks for hanging kettles.

The stove in the main house.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone else here use a wood burning stove for cooking? Show us your stove.

Post by Paul » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Sorry but camp fires every chance.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:43 am

Paul wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:27 pm
Sorry but camp fires every chance.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John
Posts in topic: 3

Post by John » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Nice stove Keith dont see may like that does it have a brand stamped in it ????
I still use a wood fired stove it all so doubles up as my hot water system And is plumbed in the house
32505CC4-D73A-4717-8A2E-CB94F599E2DC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:43 am

John wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:16 pm
Nice stove Keith dont see may like that does it have a brand stamped in it ????
I still use a wood fired stove it all so doubles up as my hot water system And is plumbed in the house 32505CC4-D73A-4717-8A2E-CB94F599E2DC.jpeg
Our stove is a Scania John, I like your stove too. Is it an Argus?
Same as you, our stove supplies our hot water, we also use it for producing fruit leather & for drying other fruit & vegies. We have in fact just been doing some bottling, fruit leather making & drying, I will be doing more today, putting some away for winter.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John

Post by John » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi Keith
Scania right not one I’ve seen very many of in my travels I think your right with mine being a Argus not 100% there’s no markers mark visible.
The stove is used for cooking hot water and a great source of heat during winter not so good this time of year being Summer and and the small house we live in but you can’t duplicate the favour of a meal cooked in a wood fire oven. This time of year I tend to do a lot of cooking out side to save the house heating up which brings me to my next project I’m wanting to build a summer kitchen I’ve been collecting everything I need for a long time and I’m not far off making a start on that one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:24 pm

John wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:06 pm
Hi Keith
Scania right not one I’ve seen very many of in my travels I think your right with mine being a Argus not 100% there’s no markers mark visible.
The stove is used for cooking hot water and a great source of heat during winter not so good this time of year being Summer and and the small house we live in but you can’t duplicate the favour of a meal cooked in a wood fire oven. This time of year I tend to do a lot of cooking out side to save the house heating up which brings me to my next project I’m wanting to build a summer kitchen I’ve been collecting everything I need for a long time and I’m not far off making a start on that one.
Good one John. Add lots of fly screens!!! :) I need to do the same thing for butchering, an outside fly screened shed with enough height to hang a beast in & large enough for a decent bench or table.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John

Post by John » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:44 pm

That’s it Keith lots of fly screens the plan is to build it with two solid walls on the north An the western walls as most of the bad winds come from the west or northwest. The southern And eastern walls will be around bench height and rest will be screened in to keep the flys bugs out as much as possible.
The plan is to build it with a pretty high roof so there will be enough height to hang beasts I was pretty lucky a friends son worked in a restaurant that closed and he got all the stainless benches cheap form just had to go get them now it’s just conveniencing a good mate to help me with the heavy side of thing will post some photos in the next few months

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:59 am

John wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:44 pm
That’s it Keith lots of fly screens the plan is to build it with two solid walls on the north An the western walls as most of the bad winds come from the west or northwest. The southern And eastern walls will be around bench height and rest will be screened in to keep the flys bugs out as much as possible.
The plan is to build it with a pretty high roof so there will be enough height to hang beasts I was pretty lucky a friends son worked in a restaurant that closed and he got all the stainless benches cheap form just had to go get them now it’s just conveniencing a good mate to help me with the heavy side of thing will post some photos in the next few months
I look forward to seeing the photos John.
Regards, Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stealth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Stealth » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:11 am

I have a deep and abiding love for Esse and Aga stoves and I'm so keen to get one, one day. The sad thing is that they're SO expensive (how much? I CAN BUY A CAR FOR THAT!!!) but I figure for dual fuel, heating, and water heating in one unit it's probably worth it. I've cooked on open fires many times over the years, but having the option to use electricity as well is a necessity with a family in my books. We plan to have an off-grid elec system that will allow for the stove, mostly during summer months when it's too hot to light a fire. But in saying that, we don't really cook when it's hot. We prefer to go for salads etc. anyway. That deserves more thought. It would certainly bring down the cost of the oven.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links