Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Being a self employed armed guard to protect your property idea

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
ozburning
Posts in topic: 1

Being a self employed armed guard to protect your property idea

Post by ozburning » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:08 pm

With Australia’s crazy self defence laws

“Possessing any object specifically for the purpose of self-defence, lethal or non-lethal, is a criminal offence in Australia.”.
I’ll admit this was a nasty surprise after being a prepper for a year and sudden finding out about this

So i considered how to obey the law and still protect myself

I had a couple of ideas learning self defence, caring a self defence cane ,

But then i thought, since you can hire armed guards to protect your residential property

I was thinking what if you started a self employed security company hiring your self as an armed guard protection to protect your own property
I haven’t looked into this too much yet, Obviously this would cost money in security training and running the business

Might also allow you to wear a body cam which can be helpful with false accusations

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Being a self employed armed guard to protect your property idea

Post by Frostbite » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:58 pm

It would be easier to just get a pistol licence and practice dry firing a lot.

Or get a Dealer Licence and work from home. That way you can legally keep automatic weapons in your own home.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

geelongprepper

Post by geelongprepper » Tue May 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Frostbite wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:58 pm
It would be easier to just get a pistol licence and practice dry firing a lot.

Or get a Dealer Licence and work from home. That way you can legally keep automatic weapons in your own home.
yeah access is good, but not the only issue. can you use them to protect yourself legally?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Tue May 28, 2019 3:49 pm

The law of self defence, in NSW at least, gives you the right to use lethal force (the law doesn't preclude the use of firearms) to protect life if your fear of being killed is genuine and YOU honestly believed that your response was appropriate. Whatever any one else thinks is irrelevant. The only cases recently where the 'self defence' defence has failed was where the defendant killed an intruder after the intruder attempted to escape (in one case the i truder was chased hundreds of metres and killed). That is no longer self defence.

There's a lot of confusion and incorrect information pedalled by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Another example is gun laws. I know a number of people who legally own machine guns. It is quite easy to get a licence for them if you jump through a few hoops, yet most uninformed idiots will tell you it's impossible.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mozart
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mozart » Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 pm

I was actually going to buy a baseball bat or maybe a couple but not sure now about the law.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

geelongprepper

Post by geelongprepper » Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 am

I get what you are saying FB, but just because you have those categories of licence, doesnt mean you can carry a firearm on you. and if you do run in to trouble you could lose it all and face jail time.

but if you were acting as a security guard, legally carrying the firearm wouldnt be an issue.

the security guard loophole still interests me, i wonder what you need to provide.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links