Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

10,000 gallons lost in drought!!!

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
Keith
Posts in topic: 4

10,000 gallons lost in drought!!!

Post by Keith » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:43 pm

The roofers forgot to reattach the vent pipe from our hot water tank! The high winds we are getting here from cyclone Omar blew the pipe down & we have lost 10,000 gallons of our water supply!!! Being in a drought right now this is pretty devastating. So now we are back to the days of carting water into the house by bucket & as the water system is piped through our wood fired stove, we can not do any cooking. No hot food or drinks & cold showers tonight!
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 10,000 gallons lost in drought!!!

Post by Frostbite » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Surely a bushman of your skill can cook over an open fire.

I don't put all my eggs in one basket or all my water in one tank. I had two 5000l tanks delivered recently, cost more than a 10,000l, but it's safer.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Frostbite wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:30 pm
Surely a bushman of your skill can cook over an open fire.

I don't put all my eggs in one basket or all my water in one tank. I had two 5000l tanks delivered recently, cost more than a 10,000l, but it's safer.
Well yes, but I am just out of hospital & recovering from a hip replacement, so I am not up to that at present. My wife could but I don't see the need. We could use the cooking facilities up at the cottage, but again I don't think the situation warrants it. It is an inconvenience, that is all.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Well it’s the roofers stuff up it’s up to them to truck in a load of water and fix there half assed job No ifs buts or maybes there and I’m sure if it was a half decent operator they’d have no problems fixing there stuff up and replacing at least some of the water to get ya by for now let’s hope the rains are on there way

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 pm

John wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 pm
Well it’s the roofers stuff up it’s up to them to truck in a load of water and fix there half assed job No ifs buts or maybes there and I’m sure if it was a half decent operator they’d have no problems fixing there stuff up and replacing at least some of the water to get ya by for now let’s hope the rains are on there way
It took a couple of days, but the pipe is fixed & the water tanker came at 7.30 pm & filled up the tanks, so we are up & running again. Just hate to think of all that water lost, very precious when you are living off grid.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:59 pm

I built a 41sq mcmansion once. Top of the range from a major building company. It wasn't cheap, but almost every trade they employed were morons. Concreters, carpenters, plumbers, roofers, bricklayers all useless. I ended up engaging the toughest building inspector in the area and went to war. Things haven't improved since then, most builders are incompetent, so I always check their work.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Glad to hear your back up an running Keith I no my self how valuable water is having to get a truck in not long ago as we’d ran out we can only hope for rain an the end of this drought but it’s going to still take years for a lot of farmers to recover

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:52 pm

John wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:45 pm
Glad to hear your back up an running Keith I no my self how valuable water is having to get a truck in not long ago as we’d ran out we can only hope for rain an the end of this drought but it’s going to still take years for a lot of farmers to recover
Yes John, our main dam is lower than it had ever been, & it is going to take a lot of rain to bring it up to level.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links