Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Bartering preps

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
John
Posts in topic: 1

Bartering preps

Post by John » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi all
Just wondering if any has given much thought to bartering preps and what preps they plan to barter with if come to it
I’ve read a lot people have put gold And silver away but don’t see the value in it if where all living off owe preps.
I’m planing on not being around anybody but you never no who you may run in to and having a few things to trade maybe useful.
Just something to think about I guess but would be good to read others point of view on.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mozart

Re: Bartering preps

Post by mozart » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am

Half a dozen bottles of scotch and of vodka, tobacco, lighters, tins of beef stew. Depends probably rather keep stuff to ourselves.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

geelongprepper

Post by geelongprepper » Tue May 28, 2019 1:35 pm

I think bartering is probably a worthy thought, but you should consider risks.

I wouldnt give away supplies. I have worked hard to get what i have and have it for a reason. I would also not want people to know that I had a supply.

Instead i would trade game meat, fish, foraged foods etc. If i did have to trade supplies, I would say i dont have it, but may be able to find it. again not wanting to give away my stash.

I think things like condoms, toothbrushes, toothpaste, tampons, razors, soap, small bags of rice, small cans of food, fishing gear, may work. i guess it depends on the state of SHTF

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Tue May 28, 2019 3:32 pm

There is no golden rule to bartering because there are too many variables. It might be beneficial to barter with trusted neighbours or friends, or at an organised event where you can remain anonymous and where you are confident you won't be robbed or followed home. But it might be very dangerous to barter with strangers who appear at your door.

If you don't barter how will you obtain goods that you need but don't have? Money might be worthless until society starts to recover, so what good do you store excess of to trade with later on?

My opinion would be to store items that are relatively cheap to buy now, that won't perish, that will be in demand when the system collapses, and that you could use yourself if you cannot or choose not to barter. It's up to you to decide what those items should be. Items like toothbrushes and soap seem to me to be a good choice.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

seatard

Post by seatard » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:15 pm

I have seeds to grow tobacco and have the plans and instructions on brewing mead and spirits. I also have I believe they are the luxury items that people will trade for.

I also have hard and soft copies of all sorts of plans and instructions/manuals from fixing all makes of cars to generating electricity many different ways.

Skills are knowledge but being able to pass on that knowledge is value in itself

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bug » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:58 pm

Matches have proved valuable barter in several conflict zones.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bilby

Post by Bilby » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 pm

I'm intending on bartering some of my water and food harvested, as these will be the most sort after items townies and displaced people will need. Open public markets always operate, even when war is happening or the worst natural disasters have occured. I will also be giving these essentials away freely to children, but obviously not from my property.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bug » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 am

Be careful ever giving handouts. I'm sure you've seen what happens to UN food trucks.
It's a part of many people's personality to not work for something for themselves if they think they can get it for free from someone else. This includes use of violence once the freebies stop coming. By giving handouts, you'll identify yourself as someone with 'enough to spare' and be targeted by people who want to take what you have.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links