Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

PETITION: The legal right to armed self defence in Australia

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
Bug
Posts in topic: 6

Re: PETITION: The legal right to armed self defence in Australia

Post by Bug » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Grumpy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:34 pm
So how do you do that?

Anything you make legal for self defence is then available to the perp!

No benefit to the victim just plain escalation yes simple but stupid as well
Crooks already have illegal weapons, so no change on that side.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Keith » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 am

Bug wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:37 pm
Grumpy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:34 pm
So how do you do that?

Anything you make legal for self defence is then available to the perp!

No benefit to the victim just plain escalation yes simple but stupid as well
Crooks already have illegal weapons, so no change on that side.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:03 pm

So you advocate an "Arms race" then ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bug

Post by Bug » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:45 pm

"So you are saying ... " type statements are not going to do your argument any good at all.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

notasyoung
Posts in topic: 1

Post by notasyoung » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Keith wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 pm
Please sign this petition.
At this present time possessing any object specifically for the purpose of self-defence, lethal or non-lethal, is a criminal offence in Australia. There are many women, raped and/or murdered, who would have been liable to prosecution had they been carrying anything that might have saved them.

It is illegal for Licensed gun owners in Australia to use their firearm for self defence or for the defence of their family in an armed home invasion.

It should be a human right to be able to defend yourself against an armed assailant, or against a stronger unarmed assailant. Citizens should be legally able to carry either or both Pepper Spray or a Taser for defence. Gun owners should have the right to use their guns for self defence & for the defence of their family in an armed home invasion.

https://www.change.org/p/committee-secr ... -australia
The statement is not 100% correct. You shouldn't be armed prior to a home invasion (you were expecting it?). The right to self defence is a prickly area, but if you cannot flee or retreat, especially if you or others or too young, to old, or are in a remote location, then self defence does become an option. The thing is, your weapons are secured, your ammunition is secured... how do you get the time to get to them, and load? There is an option to use something to even the odds, where there is a physical disparity (e.g. they are young, big and fit... you aren't in that category) then grabbing something to use, like a pool cue, might be reasonable under the circumstances.
Most people will never be subjected to a home invasion. If your worried, I would suggest a good family dog, like a german shepherd, or a rottweiler, that lives with the family. Not a fear biter, not a timid dog, but not uncontrollable either. Learn how to train and control the animal. And like the Police, remember the dog is expendable, to save your life (yes, when you do an entry, the handler is there to look after, control and direct the dog, the officer right behind is there to look after the dog handlers safety).
It isn't like the movies. Sitting around with a gun, feeling tough, is more likely to go sadly wrong, than right. Even the Police in Australia, who strap on a gun every day for forty years, may never actually need to draw their weapon and point it at someone, let alone shoot.
Stolen pepper spray and tazers would soon be added to the criminals arsenal (after all pistols have been controlled in Australia for 100 years, but criminals still get them). I could see some young drunk idiot spraying other people, or the Police, with pepper spray because they felt entitled to 'defend themselves'. If you have time to go for a tazer or pepper spray, wouldn't you be better going for a personal alarm, if out, with GPS (I can point you at suppliers).
If you're worried about home invasion, strengthen the doors, create space between a good security door, and an good external rated hardwood door (have one made with steel inserts laminated between hardwood), with a peep hole, and safety chain system, at the front entrance. Properly secure the windows with full screens to harden them up. Make sure you add fire extinguishers, and a known exit point at front and back, in case of fire. Have an inside, and outside, dog. Do not put up one of those 6' solid security fences at the front of the property, because once the crooks inside that fence, they are hidden from outside view.
Well, that's just some thoughts!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:08 am

No peepholes use CCTV cameras a peephole exactly positions the lookers head and the change in light says when, not a good idea if you want to live!

A panic switch to a battery operated siren and flashing floodlights is a good idea now and maybe after the Apocalypse.

Building a security cage outside the front door can limit access to the actual front door, if strong can be used to trap bad guys or give a few more seconds to react.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Warrigal

Post by Warrigal » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:55 am

Signed this petition and shared it on Twitter.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Keith » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Warrigal wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:55 am
Signed this petition and shared it on Twitter.
Thanks mate, appreciated.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

geelongprepper

Post by geelongprepper » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 pm

I thought I would weigh in my 2 cents worth.

to me its about self determination. If someone wants to be unarmed, great, good on them. But I am sure they will want someone armed to come to their rescue.

I would rather be able to make my own decision than have others making it for me.

to worry that firearms will get in the wrong hands is kind of a side argument. heres a hypothetical. a woman is being attacked. she pulls out a gun and either shoots them, stops them or gets it taken off her. 2 out of 3 options she is not a victim. now if the same scenario happens with no gun, her only outcome is as a victim. so if we are saying we are going to have women as victims, what number of those women not being victims would justify self defense weapons?

we trust police, servicemen/women and security guards to have guns on duty, why wouldnt we trust them with them off duty. they are already determined to be worthy of a firearm and are trained to have one and make decisions. why couldnt they be armed in society when not on duty.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Frostbite » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:34 pm

"we trust police, servicemen/women and security guards to have guns on duty, why wouldnt we trust them with them off duty. they are already determined to be worthy of a firearm and are trained to have one and make decisions. why couldnt they be armed in society when not on duty"

Expanding on this, why wouldn't we trust licenced civilians to have guns, when they usually have considerably more experience in handling firearms than the police, military or security guards. .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links