Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Gangs running riot in 'forgotten' outback town

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
Keith
Posts in topic: 1

Gangs running riot in 'forgotten' outback town

Post by Keith » Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 am

Owning or using ANYTHING for use in self defence in Australia is illegal!!! Only in West Australia are citizens allowed to use pepper spray! Even if you own a gun it is illegal to use it to protect yourself or save the lives of your family!!!
https://au.news.yahoo.com/gangs-running ... 13539.html

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John

Re: Gangs running riot in 'forgotten' outback town

Post by John » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:36 pm

The worst thing is about laws like that is crims know the laws and use them to there advantage because they know by law there’s not a great deal you can legally do to stop them
My personal thoughts
I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 is a saying from my training that’s stuck with me for years.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Yes yes you can not carry anything specifically for defence
You can not carry a gun to defend yourself as that is intent
but if you happen to be cleaning your gun and you come under assault it is if you fear for your life legal to load that gun and use it to defend yourself

I spend hours some nights cleaning my firearms, it takes time to do a proper job cleaning a firearm even if you have not actually fired it in some time.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:09 pm

That town I guess would be Moree right.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm

https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/crimi ... lf-defense

The link above explains the law regarding self defence in NSW quite well. It seems if you were genuinely acting in self defence, and ceased using lethal force as soon as the threat ended, then the law safeguards your right to use lethal force to protect life.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 pm

A lot depends on what you say and do when the police turn up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

notasyoung

Post by notasyoung » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Frostbite wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm
https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/crimi ... lf-defense

The link above explains the law regarding self defence in NSW quite well. It seems if you were genuinely acting in self defence, and ceased using lethal force as soon as the threat ended, then the law safeguards your right to use lethal force to protect life.
The common law used by both the Police, and others, in Australia, is that "at the time of shooting I feared for my life, and the lives of others". It goes at the bottom of your statement, I've had to write it. When in reasonable fear of your life or the life of another, or when you are going to the aid or succour of another, you are permitted to use reasonable force, and commit no offence (e.g. smashing in a door to get someone out of a burning house> no offence). It doesn't give cart blanche, other factors come into play such as was it reasonable to retreat, etc. for Police retreat may not be an option. Where the criminals are better mounted, fitter, more capable, armed, and there isn't anywhere to retreat to, or you have to go forward to protect another, then the 'reasonable man' test comes into it.
One of the troubles nowadays, is shiny bum Police cowardice, many get a rank because the need it as a stepping stone to get a higher rank, not because they are capable. Rather than just assess that the actions were reasonable in the circumstances some Police who have never faced an angry man will elect to charge you, and send it to a court to decide, or make you an 'example' (if someone dies the coroners court will examine it anyway). If you hit one of those, bad luck!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links