Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

General Chat

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
MasterChief
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

General Chat

Post by MasterChief » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 am

Got something on your mind?

Are you a veteran Prepper with knowledge to share?

Or are you new to Prepping and looking for some guidance?

Whatever you want to talk about this is the place to post it.

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bilby

Re: General Chat

Post by Bilby » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:12 pm

I've come to realise that as a prepper, I need to develop an awareness of false preppers. All the skills, knowledge and materials collected for survival can be lost, just by being suckered in by others who aren't prepping themselves; but rather make it their survival strategy to seek us out and take over if the shtf for real? Am I being a bit paranoid, or just becoming more aware and less naive?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

twooldblueshoes

Post by twooldblueshoes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 am

You're not wrong. I don't know people like this but I know non-preppers in our street who would be on us like a swarm of gnats in under 18 hours if they thought we had food and they were hungry

I'm probably more of a lazy prepper- I'm bad at storing stuff because we go through our stores but don't religiously keep them up to date because we are limited by the demands of day to day coping (e.g. restocking needs to fit into our food budget so we aren't spending money we don't have). We are getting more resilient as time goes on but as things stand, in a major disaster, we would probably only last a few weeks before being dependent like all the other sheeple

Whether we count as "false preppers" depends on whether you look at intentions or outcome. We intend to not fall over at the first hint of trouble - a week of disruptions because of protests or something- but after that first week of limbo we'll be looking for whatever we can scrounge from anyone or anywhere, just like the rest. The outcome after that first week is still gonna be us knocking on anyones door in desperation. If we know you have stuff we need, we're gonna be knocking on your door - if I'm hungry and I know you have food, who wouldn't? (I'm not justifying being lazy here - just being realistic about how things will play out with "beginner" preppers or busy people who only have a small stash).

Anyway I say this just because it's one more group to consider when you are deciding how much to share or trust. It's wise to share threat warnings and encourage "victory gardens" and real world skills, it's maybe unwise to let even other preppers know how much you really have...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:54 pm

This is wny bullets and beans go so well together. When the thin veneer of civilisation vanishes, you can't have one without the other.

But you need the right gun, the right mindset and the right training and tactics. Doing it only in your head gets you dead.

And no, a muzzle loader will not stop the hungry hordes pillaging your food store.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links