Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

INCH? (Im never coming home)

What's on your mind? Lets get the community talking.
Benchwarmer
Posts in topic: 2

INCH? (Im never coming home)

Post by Benchwarmer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm

How willing is every one to just pack up and leave? Unless my house burns down or floods(both not very likely ) I couldn't see myself just hitting the road. Where do you go what do you do how do survive ?
I would like to hear opinions to help me assess how to plan this.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Australianprepper1

Re: INCH? (Im never coming home)

Post by Australianprepper1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm

I've been training for years to be able to get up and get out. But at the end of the day, the situation will need to be pretty dire for me to actually do it. The one thing that your home gives you is sheltered security, which allows you to work on other tasks that you will need to perform in an emergency situation. Once out of your comfort zone you will need to perform those tasks and try and stay sheltered and secure at the same time.
I think there is a big misconception that heading bush in an emergency is an easy thing. I probably only know a few people that could handle it physically, mentally and have the knowledge to do it.
Where ever your bug out plan takes you, you will need to train and practice the scenarios that you will encounter at that place. Not to mention that a lot of people don't take into account not being able to make it to their preferred bug out location.
I personally have four destinations on the way to my bug out location that I have pre prepped with buried supplies so that I don't need to have an INCH bag loaded to the hilt with gear. If any of those supplies have been lost, found or stolen I still can rely on the next cache to resupply me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benchwarmer

Post by Benchwarmer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm

i really like the idea of resupply caches on the way to a BOL. i do know of an abandoned aboriginal mission that has been closed since the 80's and is 100 kms from my house. the site has a large concrete water tank full and still plumbed up would have to be at least 50,000 liters. some old buildings( with asbestos) large ag shed/ barn a dam onsite and also sports oval and 5 acre paddock hidden well in a Forrest,

i would have to do a lot more research on the property also if i choose it plant some resupply caches along the way.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

griff
Posts in topic: 1

Post by griff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 am

^^^^
Keep that a secret Benchwarmer to everyone but me lol.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kit
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kit » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am

I’ve been wondering if there was anyone here planning on staying put in their home rather than bugging out. Is it a valid option? Multiple people in my family use mobility aids, so bugging out and going bush is a last resort option, if it’s even an option at all.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Australianprepper1

Post by Australianprepper1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi kit,
Definitely a viable option to bug in. That also comes with its own challenges. Depending on the scenario, you may find that being so close to people may warrant a lot of time spent defending what you have accumulated for yourself. Main thing you have to consider is that the unprepared will come knocking when they get desperate. You'll get people saying that they will defend with force but it's easier said than done.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:17 pm

In a major shtf event people living in the city will likely not survive if they stay in their homes. No electricity, no water, no flush toilets, no cooking inside, too dangerous to go outside. On top of this there is a good chance your home will be rammed by a truck & fired if you don't hand over what you have. In my opinion, bugging in is not an option if you want to survive.

If you know that you may have to leave your home, then there are skills you need to learn, the more skills you have, the more chance of survival you will have & the less learning you will have to do in a stressful situation. If you go bush, there is food, water, the ability to cook over an open fire, You can construct shelter if you are not carrying any. For those who are not used to living outdoors, life will not be easy, & yes there will still be dangers, even now any time you camp out there is the possibility of danger. But at least you have options to lessen these dangers.

When you are packing to go bush there must be a compromise between minimum weight & maximum self reliance. You have to think sustainable. Which would you rather carry, gadgets that will eventually become useless & thrown away, or more water, food & ammo? Most of what I carry is for ease of living, comfort. So I only pack tried sustainable equipment.
Keith.
This is a list of skills our group members have learnt or are practicing.
• Flint & steel fire lighting
• Wet weather fire lighting
• Fire-bow fire lighting
• Flintlock fire lighting
• Flintlock use, service & repair
• Marksmanship with either gun or bow.
• Field dressing & butchering game
• Blade sharpening
• Tomahawk throwing
• Making rawhide
• Brain tanning
• Primitive shelter construction
• How to stay warm in winter with only one blanket
• Cordage manufacture
• Moccasin construction and repair
• Sewing
• Axe and tomahawk helve making
• Fishing
• Hunting
• Evasion
• Tracking
• Reading sign
• Woods lore
• Navigation
• Primitive trap construction & trapping
• Open fire cooking
• Fireplace construction
• Clothing manufacture
• Drying meat & other foods
• Knowledge of plant tinders & preparation
• Knowledge of native foods & preparation
• Knowledge of native plants in the area and their uses for other than tinder and food.
• Scouting/Ranging.
• Basic first aid.
• Finding and treating water.
• General leather work.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Keith wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:17 pm
In a major shtf event people living in the city will likely not survive if they stay in their homes. No electricity, no water, no flush toilets, no cooking inside, too dangerous to go outside. On top of this there is a good chance your home will be rammed by a truck & fired if you don't hand over what you have. In my opinion, bugging in is not an option if you want to survive.

If you know that you may have to leave your home, then there are skills you need to learn, the more skills you have, the more chance of survival you will have & the less learning you will have to do in a stressful situation. If you go bush, there is food, water, the ability to cook over an open fire, You can construct shelter if you are not carrying any. For those who are not used to living outdoors, life will not be easy, & yes there will still be dangers, even now any time you camp out there is the possibility of danger. But at least you have options to lessen these dangers.

When you are packing to go bush there must be a compromise between minimum weight & maximum self reliance. You have to think sustainable. Which would you rather carry, gadgets that will eventually become useless & thrown away, or more water, food & ammo? Most of what I carry is for ease of living, comfort. So I only pack tried sustainable equipment.
Keith.
This is a list of skills our group members have learnt or are practicing.
• Flint & steel fire lighting
• Wet weather fire lighting
• Fire-bow fire lighting
• Flintlock fire lighting
• Flintlock use, service & repair
• Marksmanship with either gun or bow.
• Field dressing & butchering game
• Blade sharpening
• Tomahawk throwing
• Making rawhide
• Brain tanning
• Primitive shelter construction
• How to stay warm in winter with only one blanket
• Cordage manufacture
• Moccasin construction and repair
• Sewing
• Axe and tomahawk helve making
• Fishing
• Hunting
• Evasion
• Tracking
• Reading sign
• Woods lore
• Navigation
• Primitive trap construction & trapping
• Open fire cooking
• Fireplace construction
• Clothing manufacture
• Drying meat & other foods
• Knowledge of plant tinders & preparation
• Knowledge of native foods & preparation
• Knowledge of native plants in the area and their uses for other than tinder and food.
• Scouting/Ranging.
• Basic first aid.
• Finding and treating water.
• General leather work.
110%my belief get out of dodge. Only questions left on your list is how to go about tanning raw hide or animal skins and what the hell is brain tanning?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 am

Paul: You do not tan a skin to make rawhide, you simply scrape it clean of all fat & hair/fur. Wet it is pliable, dry it is very hard. If you wet it & cover or bind something with it, as it dries it shrinks & pulls very tight.

Brain tanning is using the brains of the animal to tan its own skin. There is enough brain in each animal to tan its skin. You can also use the liver in the mixture.
A very old photo of a cabin I built many years ago with skins tacked to the wall.

Here is a video on the process. I have not watched this one, but being Cree I would imagine it will show you all you need to know.
Keith.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw50DFNQveQ

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paul » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Keith wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 am
Paul: You do not tan a skin to make rawhide, you simply scrape it clean of all fat & hair/fur. Wet it is pliable, dry it is very hard. If you wet it & cover or bind something with it, as it dries it shrinks & pulls very tight.

Brain tanning is using the brains of the animal to tan its own skin. There is enough brain in each animal to tan its skin. You can also use the liver in the mixture.
A very old photo of a cabin I built many years ago with skins tacked to the wall.

Here is a video on the process. I have not watched this one, but being Cree I would imagine it will show you all you need to know.
Keith.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw50DFNQveQ
Thanks Keith watched a few vids and very educational. I can understand with our climate and the process why aussie natives ran around naked. But i will make use of this information thankyou.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links