Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

bows for survival

'Nuff said. Lets talk.
sean.donnelly
Posts in topic: 2

Re: bows for survival

Post by sean.donnelly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Keith wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:23 am
Think "sustainable" where survival is concerned.
My point with the compound, and air, bow was just for the first "six?" months.
By that point, you should be set up enough to make your own bows, etc.
Both of these would just be to get me through the first part of the situation. At a time when silence and hard-hitting is more important.
Yes, I have the skills to make a bow,etc., but that also takes a long time.
The accuracy, and power, while they last would be my choice while I have them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:33 pm

sean.donnelly wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm
Keith wrote:
My point with the compound, and air, bow was just for the first "six?" months.
By that point, you should be set up enough to make your own bows, etc.
Both of these would just be to get me through the first part of the situation. At a time when silence and hard-hitting is more important.
Yes, I have the skills to make a bow,etc., but that also takes a long time.
The accuracy, and power, while they last would be my choice while I have them.
I can see your point of view Sean, but the way I look at it is why not start off as you are going to continue. Why carry something that you know you may at some time have to discard? Wouldn't it be better to take a good bow with you that if looked after will continue to bring home the meat for many years? For the extra weight of an airbow or a compound you could carry extra arrows. Personally I will have plenty of work to do hunting & running a trap line etc etc etc without having to make a bow & arrows as well. I need dependability & sustainability.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paul » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Keith wrote:
If you are looking at purchasing a bow, then you need to get something you can easily make a bow string for & arrows. As StealthHunter said, a compound is not a good idea for long term wilderness living. A crossbow would probably be fine, but I no nothing of the airbow.
Keith.
Totally agree to many working parts prefer my long bow and recurve bow.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:45 am

Paul wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 pm
Keith wrote:
If you are looking at purchasing a bow, then you need to get something you can easily make a bow string for & arrows. As StealthHunter said, a compound is not a good idea for long term wilderness living. A crossbow would probably be fine, but I no nothing of the airbow.
Keith.
Totally agree to many working parts prefer my long bow and recurve bow.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Funksoulbrother
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Funksoulbrother » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Samick sage is a decent recurve and also one of the cheapest, although ive always gone with a compound bow.
But with compound obviously theres alot more moving parts that can f*** up and can be hard to re string one out in the bush, unless you have the limb puller tool on ya, or paracord and 2 guys(from experience) haha
I am really getting a love for instinctive aiming on a sightless recurve, but in a survival situation and you have one shot to get a deer id rather not take a chance.
Take down recurve or solid recurve with extra string cant go wrong really. But accuracy wise a decent compoud bow will do an exelent job, again its depending on your own shooting ability.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Funksoulbrother wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm
Samick sage is a decent recurve and also one of the cheapest, although ive always gone with a compound bow.
But with compound obviously theres alot more moving parts that can f*** up and can be hard to re string one out in the bush, unless you have the limb puller tool on ya, or paracord and 2 guys(from experience) haha
I am really getting a love for instinctive aiming on a sightless recurve, but in a survival situation and you have one shot to get a deer id rather not take a chance.
Take down recurve or solid recurve with extra string cant go wrong really. But accuracy wise a decent compoud bow will do an exelent job, again its depending on your own shooting ability.
No offence intended Fsb, but I think you would be better off practicing with a non compound until you are proficient. We have a friend who purchased a top quality compound & he has had no end of trouble with it. I know you can get a lemon, & of course the person themselves can be a contributing factor, but by & large I think a traditional bow is far more reliable in the long run.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links