Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

What firearms would best suit our Aussie scenario?

'Nuff said. Lets talk.
notasyoung
Posts in topic: 20

Re: What firearms would best suit our Aussie scenario?

Post by notasyoung » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am

I suspect, and hope, that I won't see an 'end of the world' scenario in my lifetime; I will undoubtedly see change, as I already have, not always for the better. We are moving from a stable international relationship system to a more nationalist system, across the world. Disparity of income has become a big issue (HOW a senior bank EMPLOYEE can believe they are worth being paid many millions a year, plus bonuses, is beyond me... given that banking is simply legalised fraud and theft [the fractional banking system]).
Climate variation, the lemming like growth of world population (which drives energy and consumption demand/more consumers, more consumed, more discarded), and incompetent politicians combined with the social media age has made reality mute.
There are many potential disasters on the horizon, including Australia suffering a long recession/depression to match our long period of unbroken growth, world stagflation (a return to the '70s!), climate disasters, war, world recession/depression caused by excess debt and a reckoning, etc.
In most of these weapons are secondary to family and community, for the normal person. The rifle is there to supplement the food supply, to deal with local problems such as wild dogs, for the destruction of animals (be it for meat, or because of injury). The rest of the time the rifle is there for target practice, or for hunting, as a pastime/recreation activity (which gives good exercise and often little return). Each of us needs to decide what is suitable for our needs, our location, our access to properties... some commonality exists is that most will choose a rimfire, a larger calibre, and a shotgun.
Many will also choose to reload, to improve performance, to reduce cost, or as a form of 'redundancy'. If a true 'end of the world' rather than just an 'end of the world as we know it' event occurs, I would suspect there will be items available for quite a while to 'pick up', before corrosion and nature reclaim things.
In an 'end of the world as we know it' event there is change, so a wide spanned preparation, in a common sense way, is always going to be the best approach (face it, a local TEOTWAWKI event can simply be the company you work for closing down). A more widespread TEOTWAWKI event could be fast or slow, and may have already started at a gradual pace, and will only be noticed when it picks up steam. As indicated by some assessments Australia will suffer badly financially, trying to comply with the Paris Agreement. It will suffer even worse as we pay the 'keyboard warriors' and extreme greens to attack supply rather than demand (think Adani), especially when combined with our incompetent politicians.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

notasyoung wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am
I suspect, and hope, that I won't see an 'end of the world' scenario in my lifetime; I will undoubtedly see change, as I already have, not always for the better. We are moving from a stable international relationship system to a more nationalist system, across the world. Disparity of income has become a big issue (HOW a senior bank EMPLOYEE can believe they are worth being paid many millions a year, plus bonuses, is beyond me... given that banking is simply legalised fraud and theft [the fractional banking system]).
Climate variation, the lemming like growth of world population (which drives energy and consumption demand/more consumers, more consumed, more discarded), and incompetent politicians combined with the social media age has made reality mute.
There are many potential disasters on the horizon, including Australia suffering a long recession/depression to match our long period of unbroken growth, world stagflation (a return to the '70s!), climate disasters, war, world recession/depression caused by excess debt and a reckoning, etc.
In most of these weapons are secondary to family and community, for the normal person. The rifle is there to supplement the food supply, to deal with local problems such as wild dogs, for the destruction of animals (be it for meat, or because of injury). The rest of the time the rifle is there for target practice, or for hunting, as a pastime/recreation activity (which gives good exercise and often little return). Each of us needs to decide what is suitable for our needs, our location, our access to properties... some commonality exists is that most will choose a rimfire, a larger calibre, and a shotgun.
Many will also choose to reload, to improve performance, to reduce cost, or as a form of 'redundancy'. If a true 'end of the world' rather than just an 'end of the world as we know it' event occurs, I would suspect there will be items available for quite a while to 'pick up', before corrosion and nature reclaim things.
In an 'end of the world as we know it' event there is change, so a wide spanned preparation, in a common sense way, is always going to be the best approach (face it, a local TEOTWAWKI event can simply be the company you work for closing down). A more widespread TEOTWAWKI event could be fast or slow, and may have already started at a gradual pace, and will only be noticed when it picks up steam. As indicated by some assessments Australia will suffer badly financially, trying to comply with the Paris Agreement. It will suffer even worse as we pay the 'keyboard warriors' and extreme greens to attack supply rather than demand (think Adani), especially when combined with our incompetent politicians.

I was re voicing my opinion the other day on some injustice or other & my wife replied "well if they don't stabilise global warming, you won't have to worry about any of that". She was right of course; there was this sudden realisation that we were actually running out of time & that compared to the effects from global warming & it's eventual End Of The World scenario, everything else pails in comparison!

First of course we will have the problem with failing crops, lack of water or too much water in some places. Terrific heat in Australia & perhaps more cold in the Northern hemisphere. The grid will be overloaded with all the air conditioners so there will be blackouts of varying lengths. This will encourage looting & a rise in other crimes in darkened cities. So like it or not, before the end, we are going to need guns for defence, & anything will be better than nothing.
Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

OK my three cents worth
First up is a .22LR bolt action with a threaded barrel, make and model not important but condition is, I will say to stay clear of rimfire lever actions as they are trouble prone as they age, sloppy linkages and very small rounds means trouble and they are very hard to fix.
Second up is a .223R/5.56 NATO bolt action with a decent length/weight barrel and a low power compact scope, whatever you hunt in Aus this will put it down if you can shoot.
Third up is the same as above but in .308W/7.62X51NATO bit harder hitting and better at longer range
Fourth up 12g shotty, nutting fancy but for long term survival exposed hammer is good.
Fifth up a handgun most any practical handgun will do

Learn and practice with all!
Big kickers are ok when the shooter is ok but when the shooter is not ok less is better. a hit with a .22LR is better than a miss with your 44m

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeA
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MikeA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am

Grumpy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm
OK my three cents worth
First up is a .22LR bolt action with a threaded barrel, make and model not important but condition is, I will say to stay clear of rimfire lever actions as they are trouble prone as they age, sloppy linkages and very small rounds means trouble and they are very hard to fix.
Second up is a .223R/5.56 NATO bolt action with a decent length/weight barrel and a low power compact scope, whatever you hunt in Aus this will put it down if you can shoot.
Third up is the same as above but in .308W/7.62X51NATO bit harder hitting and better at longer range
Fourth up 12g shotty, nutting fancy but for long term survival exposed hammer is good.
Fifth up a handgun most any practical handgun will do

Learn and practice with all!
Big kickers are ok when the shooter is ok but when the shooter is not ok less is better. a hit with a .22LR is better than a miss with your 44m
THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^^

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Nobody has yet suggested a ruger charger in a nordic chassis with 25rd mags. Still legal in some states of Australia on a cat h licence. Fast, accurate, very quiet with subsonics, large mag capacity, quick mag changes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Whatever floats your boat.

I am more old style, not so much into plastics or gadgets.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeA

Post by MikeA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Frostbite wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 pm
Nobody has yet suggested a ruger charger in a nordic chassis with 25rd mags. Still legal in some states of Australia on a cat h licence. Fast, accurate, very quiet with subsonics, large mag capacity, quick mag changes.
That's changing very quickly, as although legal, many clubs will not allow them and a condition of licence is that you use for club use. I agree a charger would be a good choice.
If we are talking Cat H then many semi auto pistols will fit into the Archangel chassis therefore converting say a glock into a carbine rifle, gives you 9mm or .45. Same legalities apply however the chassis is just a stock and possession is not illegal, yet, use however is.

I do like the Ruger idea and there are plenty of options

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Hera make a carbine chassis for various models of semi auto pistols.

Be cautious though: the chassis is not considered a firearm, but becomes a prohibited weapon in NSW when kept in the same location as a pistol (whether fitted or not), and in Vic the regulations were/will be amended to make chassis kits prohibited.

Don't know the rules in the other states.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeA

Post by MikeA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Frostbite wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 pm
Hera make a carbine chassis for various models of semi auto pistols.

Be cautious though: the chassis is not considered a firearm, but becomes a prohibited weapon in NSW when kept in the same location as a pistol (whether fitted or not), and in Vic the regulations were/will be amended to make chassis kits prohibited.

Don't know the rules in the other states.
Yep all true, but post SHTF. Still good in SA and Qld. NSW bans toys ffs so not surprised there.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moist Gash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Moist Gash » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 am

Any 22lr rifle, lever or bolt will get the job done, can carry 1000 rounds witout too much weight.

2nd Choice is a Cat A (yes cat A) straight pull tactical shotgun, either SHS or Pardus, holds 10 in the tube and is really fast.

3rd 9mm Pistol, i know not everyone can do this as its cat H, but worth it and if you had Cat H turn your bolt action 22lr into a Ruger Charger Arch angel.

But having a 5.56/223 or 7.62/308 is a good choice too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links