Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

firearm for survival

'Nuff said. Lets talk.
StealthHunter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: firearm for survival

Post by StealthHunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm

ok cheers mate, I will give it a try

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benchwarmer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Benchwarmer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 pm

zane.lorimer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:42 pm
Note to benchwarmer - .357mag is the best round to start reloading as it has straight walls and forgiving in carbine - copper jacket projectiles in hollow point for tube mag .
I appreciate the advise I have not started reloading yet but using a cross platform .357 I think is an advantage and a cost effective way for me to keep me skills up. And as some one mentioned here reloading you can store a lot of casings powder and projectiles for a reasonable price .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zane.lorimer
Posts in topic: 5

Post by zane.lorimer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 pm

That is fantastic , I am impressed .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benchwarmer

Post by Benchwarmer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 am

zane.lorimer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:27 pm
357mag is great for pigs in Bourke out the ute over stubble , i use my marlin 357mag rifle every time i go up there - hang rifle out driver side door and swing rifle by lever , useing pistol red dot on the top makes quick work of shooting pigs whilst driving {i'm not a cowboy shooter} .
how does the marlin go? im going to get the 1894CST the new model due to be released mid this year. i would like to know how the rifle is and if you would suggest getting one?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Australianprepper1

Post by Australianprepper1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 am

I've requested my firearms license paperwork yesterday. Curious to see how long it will take for the whole process to take? I've heard that it is about 3 months, however, I've heard that it has taken up to a year for certain people.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benchwarmer

Post by Benchwarmer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 am

It does vary from state to state WA seems consistently the slowest.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zane.lorimer
Posts in topic: 5

Post by zane.lorimer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 pm

The marlin are pick of the lever actions , used a few others and each have had jam ups. Love lever actions . Bought the .357 mag when i was shooting action match pistol and had to reload for different power factors - used rifle to empty cases.
My marlin has a pistol red dot on top and shoots great on pigs out window over stubble , mate in Griffith bought one for that perpose after using mine .
Would like to try out the browning lever for the magazine as the tube mag restricts the type of projectile to flat nose , hollow point projectiles are great for close ranges tear big hole.
Note for Australianprepper1 - Join hunting club in NSW - low cost and genuine reason sorted !
Firearms registry pass licence and permits quicker with club connection.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

griff

Post by griff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:36 am

Back in the day we mainly used .22 for everything....the cost of the 222 was way to expensive ...If you are proficient enough and work yourself close you will kill anything with a trusty pea rifle.....All our steer kills (for meat)were shot 2 inches above the curl in the head with a .22, they dropped like a stone every time. .My dad had a professional shooter lic , I hated coming home on school hols because of his idea of work load as kids back then were treated like the hired help ...but not paid lol.We grew up learning how to judge distance for elevation and wind, miss and get ready for a back hander from the old boy.
Last edited by griff on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MasterChief
Site Admin

Post by MasterChief » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:52 am

griff wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:36 am
I hated coming home on school hold because of his idea of work load as kids back then were treated like the hired help ...but not paid lol.We grew up learning how to judge distance for elevation and wind, miss and get ready for a back hander from the old boy.
I bet you're happy for it now, skills that fewer and fewer have today.

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

griff

Post by griff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am

MasterChief wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:52 am
griff wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:36 am
I hated coming home on school hold because of his idea of work load as kids back then were treated like the hired help ...but not paid lol.We grew up learning how to judge distance for elevation and wind, miss and get ready for a back hander from the old boy.
I bet you're happy for it now, skills that fewer and fewer have today.

So true chief...Back then everything was done at home...mech repairs thru to slaughtering to being taught how to dress a animal(butchering).Back then we never knew what a tradesman was...The sad thing is,no matter how hard I try to pass my skills on to my kids they not in the slightest bit interested.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links