Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

BOV's ( bug out vehicles)

What have you got, what are you looking for, where do you get it, recommendations, reviews and offers.
Benchwarmer
Posts in topic: 6

BOV's ( bug out vehicles)

Post by Benchwarmer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm

what vehicles are people driving or planning on buying/modifying for what ever situation you are prepping for?

i have a fairly heavily modified patrol i am currently building. she will carry my GHB when its back on the road, and currently have spare front and rear diff 9 spare tyres all on rims and road worthy (also fit my trailer with patrol stud pattern) a spare gear box and another motor i am about to rebuild.

many other accessories it takes with it at all time and some cool mods i have packed in her also.
if any one is interested in more details of mods or accessories carried id be happy to share.

so every one tell us what you have 8-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zane.lorimer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: BOV's ( bug out vehicles)

Post by zane.lorimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Sounds like one hell of a good truck.
I drive a 75 series cruiser {87 model" and love the hell out of her , she has 180 ltrs of diesel on board and rear tank has electric transfer to front so i can fast fill rear with hi flow pump then switch pump and trans to front keeping all fuel tanks fresh.
Rebuilt the front and rear diffs with auto lockers in them - front clicks on corners but love it for grip.
2H diesel engine and gearbox got the rebuild with jap bearings along with the trans case at home .
35 ltr air tank with hi output 12v pump that will run a air ratchet - used it to rebuild cv joint on hilux last winter and loved it.
hi mount warne winch , snorkel , gun rack on rear window , 5w + 15w uhf radios ,3 uhf ariels , twin batteries under bonnet and ex army box with two 105 a/h gels in rear with anderson plug for charge , running 60hp boat motor and inverter - multi use box is very handy - runs 3 fridges at camp for 4 days plus night lights .
It is slow on road but perfect offroad , it looks like crap , rattles , no a/c , very reliable and no damn turbo lag.
Built the blue 45 for fun truck , love to hear more about your truckas it sound like a weapon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benchwarmer

Post by Benchwarmer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 pm

its a 01 gu running a 2002 td42t the last of the fully mechanical tds (meaning. mechanical injector pump no electric fuel pump not computers it can run on an engine crane with nothing but a jumperlead to the starter motor) converted my auto locking hubs to free wheeling manual 210 L of fuel with a 1600km range. a stihl 026 behind the back seats with a 3d printed sprocket to hook up to my alternator if my battery dies and the 16 inch bar and sharpening tools to go with it. 280 piece kingchrome tool kit.planning on a fleximake water bladder for it also
oh and its an engineered dual cab chop with air bags :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zane.lorimer

Post by zane.lorimer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Way to go , less electrics the better is my thinking on mechanicals .
Gu's are awesome, helped a few mates mod the GU and they are hard too kill - we tried .
Did you chop the wagon too full ute or twin cab , first time heard of useing chainsaw for altinator running.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benchwarmer

Post by Benchwarmer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm

zane.lorimer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 pm
Way to go , less electrics the better is my thinking on mechanicals .
Gu's are awesome, helped a few mates mod the GU and they are hard too kill - we tried .
Did you chop the wagon too full ute or twin cab , first time heard of useing chainsaw for altinator running.
she a full twin cab 5 seater this way i can keep it when i start my own tribe no need to upgrade and with a spare engine i can build it up as i want. chainsaw works a treat if your in a jam.
(Note. Single best emergency prep I have got for her is a 3 meter fuel line that sits under my seat, td42s have no fuel pump as such it draws from the injector pump so on a jam and this has happened you can disconnect your fuel line from the tank side of the lift pump and run the fuel line to a Jerry can on the tray or even just a little 5 liter one of you choose to unplug your 2ND battery. )1st time I punched a hole on the tank lost all my diesel. 2ND time she went swimming during a creek crossing got water in the tank and sucked up water making me take the glow plugs out and shoot water out the block then put it all back together and disconnect fuel tank to bypass the water in it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vessels&Valves
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vessels&Valves » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Nice to see people thinking of the limitations of electronics in modern vehicles.

If there was a nuke incident the EMP or HEMP produced from traditional Nuke weapons will wipe out everything electronic and many items of electrical infrastructure.

There may also be top secret weapons that are designed specifically to do so in a much wider area than traditional nukes so plan to be immune to it.

Imagine life options with no phones , no internet , no GPS navigation , no modern cars , no working petrol bowsers or TV.

There are many filters to protect circuits from HEMP but they can be very expensive when you are talking Mil-Spec devices.

If a nuke war happens you will see 300,000 vehicles parked up on the roads willing to pay anything to the guy who hoarded engine ECU's in HEMP hardened storage enclosures , or buy old vehicles from you that dont rely on electronics.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MasterChief
Site Admin

Post by MasterChief » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Great thread members, have been looking at buying and old Landcruiser and restoring it to full operation - but not to 'full restore it' , i fyou know what I mean.

Found these few...What do you think about these?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-p ... 1170822354

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warrada ... 1170048842

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/arno-ba ... 1172092238

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Benchwarmer

Post by Benchwarmer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 pm

first off i love the old FJ's but personally i think they are a little small, my current build that i am undergoing now is because my single cab Ute couldn't carry 5 people over long distances to comfortably so i am now putting the motor from my single cab into a dual cab ( turning out to be quite the job) but if it meets your requirements i.e price range, size,fuel type and drive train then go ahead it does not have to be expensive to be reliable..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vessels&Valves
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vessels&Valves » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 pm

If you do go to an older style of vehicle , ___think about door seals__

New vehicles can be quite well sealed and not much dust will get inside , but older vehicles are atrocious.

If you want to prepare for a nuke event , radioactive dust will be the problem , you need to establish if you can replace door and window seals to keep dust out...

who has ideas about doing that ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paul » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:35 pm

Strips of solid round foam-rubber tubing sliced in half and glued in will help with water and dust . I keep 20 feet length for 4wd and emergency. And mine is a single cab landcruiser so double seal is easy.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links