Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Making 18th Century Spunks or Sulphur Matches.

Strategies and tactics for finding, catching, cleaning food, water. Building shelters, avoiding capture, defence, offence, and more...
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Making 18th Century Spunks or Sulphur Matches.

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Be careful when making these, you do not want too much molten sulphur on the match or it will drip fire. The smell from sulphur is pretty strong too so just be aware.
A sulphur match will catch fire from just touching smouldering tinder. In the 18th century they were used to light the house fires, & they were used with tinderlighters beside the bed to light a candle.
Keith.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEi-wkobZEc
Image
Image
Spunks or Sulphur match.

Image
Image
Image
Tinderlighter.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Making 18th Century Spunks or Sulphur Matches.

Post by Paul » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Keith wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:17 pm
Be careful when making these, you do not want too much molten sulphur on the match or it will drip fire. The smell from sulphur is pretty strong too so just be aware.
A sulphur match will catch fire from just touching smouldering tinder. In the 18th century they were used to light the house fires, & they were used with tinderlighters beside the bed to light a candle.
Keith.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEi-wkobZEc
Image
Image
Spunks or Sulphur match.

Image
Image
Image
Tinderlighter.
Wow you should set up a museum with daily demo's.



Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: Making 18th Century Spunks or Sulphur Matches.

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Paul wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm
Keith wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:17 pm
Be careful when making these, you do not want too much molten sulphur on the match or it will drip fire. The smell from sulphur is pretty strong too so just be aware.
A sulphur match will catch fire from just touching smouldering tinder. In the 18th century they were used to light the house fires, & they were used with tinderlighters beside the bed to light a candle.
Keith.


Wow you should set up a museum with daily demo's.
It would be nice to earn a living doing something I love doing :)
Image
Keith.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Making 18th Century Spunks or Sulphur Matches.

Post by Paul » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 pm

If you had a spare paddock you could have a three day stay rule .museum visit demo's and stay all inclusive of price.



Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar
Keith
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: Making 18th Century Spunks or Sulphur Matches.

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Paul wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 pm
If you had a spare paddock you could have a three day stay rule .museum visit demo's and stay all inclusive of price.
The cost of insurance is too high to make it profitable. Our normal public liability insurance wouldn't cover it. A nice thought though. Besides, I am too much of a recluse now. I enjoy not having people around :)
Keith.


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Making 18th Century Spunks or Sulphur Matches.

Post by Paul » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Keith wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 pm
Paul wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 pm
If you had a spare paddock you could have a three day stay rule .museum visit demo's and stay all inclusive of price.
The cost of insurance is too high to make it profitable. Our normal public liability insurance wouldn't cover it. A nice thought though. Besides, I am too much of a recluse now. I enjoy not having people around :)
Keith.
Yes I'm a loner myself find this much more satisfying and peaceful. Really really enjoy my quiet time to relax and reflect.



Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post