Welcome to the Australian Preppers Forum. The forum runs on a secure platform and is optimised for mobile devices. Register to get involved. Get started with an Introduction here or by letting us know "What Are You Prepping for?"

Tips on snakebites

Strategies and tactics for finding, catching, cleaning food, water. Building shelters, avoiding capture, defence, offence, and more...
MasterChief
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Tips on snakebites

Post by MasterChief » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Many dangerous myths surround the treatment of snakebites. The most important dos and don’ts include:
  • Do NOT wash the area of the bite or try to suck out the venom. It is extremely important to retain traces of venom for use with venom identification kits.
  • Do NOT incise or cut the bite, or apply a high tourniquet. Cutting or incising the bite won't help. High tourniquets are ineffective and can be fatal if released.
  • Do bandage firmly, splint and immobilise to stop the spread of venom. All the major medical associations recommend slowing the spread of venom by placing a folded pad over the bite area and then applying a firm bandage. It should not stop blood flow to the limb or congest the veins. Only remove the bandage in a medical facility, as the release of pressure will cause a rapid flow of venom through the bloodstream.
  • Do NOT allow the victim to walk or move their limbs. Use a splint or sling to minimise all limb movement. Put the patient on a stretcher or bring transportation to the patient.
  • Do seek medical help immediately as the venom can cause severe damage to health or even death within a few hours.
Read more about it here:
https://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/news/fl ... te-advice/

. Keep it Simple Stupid, Survive.
Have you told us "What Are You Prepping for? yet?"
Introduce yourself to the community

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zane.lorimer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Tips on snakebites

Post by zane.lorimer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Possibly not what you are looking for in an answer but when my dog was bitten by a huge tiger snake i got some information about snake bites.
Worst time to get bitten is at the start of summer or snake season as all snake venom is twice as active / toxic due to the awaking from hybernation and the snakes body will naturaly require food to replenish the stores it has used , hence the venom or toxin is twice as strong = my wire hair pointer at 6years of age walked 5 feet and fell over {no lies } he was unconsous for 14 hrs and peed black for two days whilst at the vet.{best $2100 i spent }
Vet told me of people injecting there dog with vitimin C and cutting the end off the dogs ear and let dog bleed out all for no result .
Suggested to put dog in cold water and slow down the blood flow if no access to vet clinic allowing dog to fight the venom itself .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MasterChief
Site Admin

Post by MasterChief » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Holy crap!
zane.lorimer wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm
my wire hair pointer at 6years of age walked 5 feet and fell over {no lies } he was unconscious for 14 hrs and peed black for two days whilst at the vet.{best $2100 i spent }
Suggested to put dog in cold water and slow down the blood flow if no access to vet clinic allowing dog to fight the venom itself . ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StealthHunter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by StealthHunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 pm

If hiking on terrain with snakes you could invest in a piece of equipment called "gaitors" you can find them on eBay or in hiking stores, they are nylon covers that go over a persons legs and ankles over hiking boots that stop snake bites on legs, I use them personally and they have stopped a snake that would have infected me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MasterChief
Site Admin

Post by MasterChief » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi StealthHunter and welcome to the forum.

Top tip with the gaitors did a quick google search and found these:

https://www.wildearth.com.au/shop/camp- ... iters/3168

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

zane.lorimer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by zane.lorimer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:36 pm

They do work !
i shoot ducks over rice and foxes in rice stubble for years and i have trod on a few - yes they work .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Australianprepper1

Post by Australianprepper1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 pm

I live with my gaitors on when I'm out and about in the bush. It's one less thing I need to worry about when I'm trudging though thick grass or dead fall. I also keep a knife under the gaitor on my calf that stops it getting caught on branches and the like when i'm in thick scrub.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vessels&Valves

Post by Vessels&Valves » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm

if you search on US shopping sites there would be at least 10 manufacturers who supply dedicated snakeproof boots for $ 45 - 500 a pair.

Talk to aussie boot manufacturers and they say "there is no market here for snakeproof boots" so you have to buy them from USA or wear gaiters which do not protect your foot from snakebites , only your lower leg.

joke of the year...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links